Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Rights to scripts found on Scribd

Posted 04-25-2018 07:53
    Does anyone know the legalities of performing a script found on the site Scribd?  I found a version of a script that exists as the movie version adaptation.  The only problem is the creator/publisher aren't listed.  I don't want to break copy-write, but I really like this version so much better than the Dramatic Publishing version.
    Any ideas where to go?

------------------------------
    Kendra Knoblock
    Rome0 MI

• 2.  RE: Rights to scripts found on Scribd

Posted 04-27-2018 09:33
    Don't do it.  

As tempting as it is, just don't.  I always go back to the argument (if i were the artist who created this material, wouldn't I want credit for my work)

If you know that this has a film adaptation, I would start directly with the movie studio behind that adaptation.  They would be able to give you the contact information or point you in the direction of which party to contact given the names being missing.  

You might find that the studio responsible for the film adaptation actually has the sole performance rights to the material as many films are bought by studios.  

Best of luck.

Tallen Olsen
    Drama & Musical Director
    East Windsor Regional School District, Hightstown High School

• 3.  RE: Rights to scripts found on Scribd

Posted 04-28-2018 15:32
    ​Stay away from Scribd.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: Rights to scripts found on Scribd

Posted 04-29-2018 01:07
    So I had never really heard of this site, but I checked it, and lo and behold I found an ENTIRE script of a play of mine, that someone had posted from a file I had sent them. 

It's been viewed 112 times. 

Please don't use this site. Thanks. And I wish I knew who posted that.

Don Zolidis
    Austin TX

• 5.  RE: Rights to scripts found on Scribd

Posted 04-29-2018 02:36

Based on Don's post, I decided to take a look at Scribd myself, and I just found an entire short play collection (in which we both appear, along with 8 other playwrights) apparently uploaded by a school. Yikes. I've taken screenshots and have contacted the publisher, and hopefully it will be taken down soon. I'm also contacting the business affairs department (i.e. the lawyers) of the Dramatists Guild so that they can investigate and take appropriate action.

I would echo Don's advice: stay away from this site.

I would further note that it is never OK to upload a playwright's copyrighted script to any website without explicit permission--a site which has such material is one to run away from as quickly as you can.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 6.  RE: Rights to scripts found on Scribd

Posted 04-30-2018 08:09
    Thank you for your input!

Kendra Knoblock
    Rome0 MI

• 7.  RE: Rights to scripts found on Scribd

Posted 04-30-2018 09:47
    I agree with the consensus to give a wide berth to questionable-sourced scripts found online including websites such as Scribd.

Like illegal productions of The Breakfast Club (a popular film which has never been available, to my knowledge, for the live stage) - you are tempting fate. Courting disaster. Even if the rights-owners never discovered, the internet never forgets...

We sweep through Scribd periodically and have our illegally uploaded materials removed form the site; Scribd is very good about immediately removing copyright violations.

I'm unsure if users are 'punished' (YouTube has a 3 strikes policy).

Michael McDonough
    TRW Director of Amateur Licensing
    New York