Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Are you retiring this year?

Posted 03-09-2020 08:50
    Are you planning to retire from teaching theatre this year?  If so, what's next? Have anything fun, interesting, and/or fulfilling lined up?

------------------------------
    Marti Fowler
    Chesterfield MO

• 2.  RE: Are you retiring this year?

Posted 03-10-2020 08:08
    Hi Marti,

I did retire last May and began teaching at the University of Evansville, working as a stagehand and doing work with USITT as well as starting to lead technical theatre sessions with high school groups.

It was never my plan to stop working, just do something different. And, I don't have to get up at 5:10am every day.

Thanks,

Dana

--
    Dana W. Taylor
    Dana W. Taylor Consulting, LLC
    812-455-9763

Technical Theatre for Teachers

• 3.  RE: Are you retiring this year?

Posted 03-10-2020 13:00
    Terrific, Dana!
    Bob and I have a record of working after retiring, too. Now that the business is closed, Bob continues to work with his band (all three permutations) and I spend my time running after him and volunteering for EDTA. Best wishes and it's great to hear from you!
    Marti

• 4.  RE: Are you retiring this year?

Posted 03-10-2020 14:33
    Hi Marti!
    Yep - concluding 30 years in the classroom this year.  I echo Dana's comments - especially not having to get up at 5-anything ever again!  
    I have loved my time in the classroom, but am looking forward to new creative challenges.
    I'm excited about having some flexibility to try new things.
    Amy

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 5.  RE: Are you retiring this year?

Posted 03-10-2020 18:12
    Congratulations, Amy!  I also loved my time in the classroom and as an administrator, but treasure my time in retirement. Enjoy your special time. You deserve it!
    Marti

• 6.  RE: Are you retiring this year?

Posted 03-11-2020 09:09

I too am retiring this spring after 20 years at my present position. I also taught seven years before raising my four boys. I plan to spend more time with my five grandchildren, travel more, garden more, and work in community theater. I am already costume assistant for my church's musical this summer.
    I love my job, but can feel myself slowing down a bit. I also am tired of my family having to schedule all events around my rehearsal schedules. It will also be nice to have mid-August come around and still enjoy summer vacation.  

If anyone is interested, the description of my job is posted at saintviator.com.

Kate Costello
    Theater director
    Arlington Heights IL

• 7.  RE: Are you retiring this year?

Posted 03-11-2020 16:09
    Good for you, Kate!  It's really nice to pick up and go when you want to and to have time with your family. Enjoy your time. You've worked hard and deserve it. 
    Best wishes!
    Marti

• 8.  RE: Are you retiring this year?

Posted 03-11-2020 10:52
    Turns out the corporate world values my theatre skill set.  I've started doing workshops in improv and in storytelling for the business development teams of some large corporations. My theatre game approach is a welcome change from their Powerpoint presentations, and enhancing their ability to think on their feet and to incorporate emotional tension into describing what they do results in more sales.  For me, it keeps me productive -- and pays reallllly well.

I'm also coaching an executive of a DC organization who tells spy stories how to bring across the emotional content and story arc that his former spy career taught him to minimize. 

I've recently been asked by a nearby university to observe their student (theatre) teachers as part of their Theatre Education certification.

And to keep me truly off the streets, I'm still very active with the CAPPIES, take time with my 3 yr old granddaughter, and can finally do long weekends at our little place at the beach. Oh yeah...I spend a lot of time online sharing and supporting online marketing software for building websites, selling my textbook and such. I just finished directing a short musical with the adults at my synagogue...not a single complaint from their parents!!!

36 years as a drama teacher, still waking up at 6am, but happy to go back to sleep till 8! Retired but active!

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://bit.ly/EdStages
    http://bit.ly/RWTEOview

• 9.  RE: Are you retiring this year?

Posted 03-11-2020 16:13
    Great to hear from you, Doug!  You don't sound retired, but who am I to talk. I taught methods at Fontbonne University for 10 years and did the business thing for 15. Luckily, Missouri lets you retire before you need a walker. 
    I'm happy that you are thriving in "retirement".  
    Best wishes!
    Marti

• 10.  RE: Are you retiring this year?

Posted 03-12-2020 12:10
    Thank you so much for sharing your plans. I hope part of those plans includes keeping involved, or at least in touch, with EdTA. One way to do that is to join us in the new Emeritus Community. It's free to use, and anyone who has retired from teaching theatre is invited. There's also a special EdTA emeritus membership available at a retiree-friendly rate.

Marti Fowler
    Chesterfield MO