Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Digital Sound Board Purchase

Posted 02-05-2018 11:16
    We are in the market to purchase a digital sound board. Darron West, Tony winner, recommended to me a DiGiCo board. What do you use? Price? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Digital Sound Board Purchase

Posted 02-06-2018 06:28
    DiGiCo is a great product, industry standard on Broadway...if you can afford it.  In my opinion, unless you have really advanced tech theatre students, it's a bit complex.  They do make smaller options, but again, if you can afford it.

Last year, we purchased an Allen & Heath QU32 Digital Mixer, and I am in love.  It is robust enough to handle anything and everything, it's basic user setup is friendly and easy to learn.  Price point was about $2500-3000...maybe even less than that.  

They also have options for a digital snake, which would allow you to put an input/output box either in a rack or portable in your pit, to patch all of your wireless mics, and any instruments you would be running through the system.  Instead of a big, bulky snake, you have one Cat5 cable.  

Been very happy with it...I highly recommend it!

Timothy Frost
    Technical Theatre Director
    Ridge Community High School
    Davenport FL

• 3.  RE: Digital Sound Board Purchase

Posted 02-06-2018 07:33
    Timothy Frost,

Allen  & Heath was second on my list due to price. They seem to be good products at a lower cost.
    Thanks for the feed-back!

AP

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: Digital Sound Board Purchase

Posted 02-06-2018 08:01
    We have a Soundcraft Expression 3 with a stage box. Love it! The learning curve wasn't too steep and there's lots of tutorials online. Ultimately, it probably won't matter which brand you buy - A&H, Soundcraft, Midas or even Behringer - they all have about the same capabilities for around the same price. If you have someone who can spend time with the students and show them the board, go with what they suggest. Regardless of what you get, going digital will make your sound person's life soooo much easier.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: Digital Sound Board Purchase

Posted 02-06-2018 08:02
    We use a Behringer x32. Its a really nice board with loads of features and pretty self explanatory. There are also plenty of online tutorials on how to use it if you ever get lost.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI
    Www.techiegreenroom.com

• 6.  RE: Digital Sound Board Purchase

Posted 02-06-2018 15:26

Buy a digital sound board only if you have the personal experience and/or program to support it – the same goes for light boards.

I'm a lighting geek – so who am I to talk! - but I also have had many years of experience in high school operations, and I've witnessed too many of my Drama teacher colleagues struggle with digital sound boards (I've seen professional high school sound technicians struggle with them too!). It seems like from your bio that you may have the personal experience and the program at your high school to support having a digital sound board (which is what we all should have!), but I'm using this as a 'teachable moment' for anyone reading this who doesn't have the experience and program at their school to train and support sound students.

Already people are posting comments such as "unless you have really advanced tech theatre students" and "The learning curve wasn't too steep" and "If you have someone who can spend time with the students and show them the board" and "There are also plenty of online tutorials on how to use it if you ever get lost." If you are a Drama teacher who doesn't have the personal experience, or program at your school, to train and support students in sound - take these comments as Red Flags

In the desire to be as state-of-the-art as possible in high schools these days many 'decision makers' and 'consultant/advisors'(Darron West?) will automatically choose to provide a digital board (sound and lights) for a high school theatre. This is mostly because there is a school of thought that high schoolers should have the best technology available because they will soon go to a college or get a job where this technology is used. This is true, but not the whole picture.

"State-of-the-art" is not necessarily optimal in a high school setting. I've primarily experienced that the need to have an easy to learn and clear to use board trumps the need to have the best "technology" when it comes to sound boards. And, many of the professional sound techs that I've worked with in high school theatres agree - analog boards are more 'hands on' and better teach the student the concept of what sound "does".  A student gets a better 'sound' education on an analog board.

But, as with anything there are pros and cons, and the choice depends on the primary functional use of your high school theatre. So it's important to consider who will be using your equipment before you decide on an analog or digital sound board. Consider these questions...

What is the extent of your (the Drama teacher) experience with running sound boards?

Will you or a colleague be providing vocational training for students?

Will the theatre be staffed by professional technicians?

Will the technicians who run the theatre mentor the students?

How many students a year will want to learn to be sound technicians?

Will students be running the sound board for your shows, and will it always be the same student(s)?

Will the theatre be primarily used by students who come and go every few years?

Will the theatre be rented to outside users?

Who will staff outside events, professional staff or students, or you, the Drama teacher?

Will outside users be expected to be able to run their own sound?

Will outside users be permitted to use the theatre's equipment unsupervised?

Who will restore all the equipment settings back to a neutral setting each time in preparation for the next user (be they school, district or outside)?

The answers to all of these questions will help determine if you want an analog sound board or a digital sound board. (The same goes for when choosing a light board – which is better for the student's primary education about what light actually "does", two-scene-preset or Ion?) If you are considering purchasing a new sound board, yes, you should purchase a "good" sound (or light) board, but that doesn't necessarily mean "high-end state-of-the-art" equipment. Only you know what's right for your situation, but consider carefully, because that board is going to be in your theatre for a long time.

Beth Rand, EBMS
    High School Theatre Operations Coach
    Lighting Designer

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Spring Session starts March 5th.

NEW SERVICE: REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! (Can be accomplished remotely if you're not in the Boulder/Denver area.)

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "The High School Theatre Safety Manual" and several more books on Amazon and also at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 7.  RE: Digital Sound Board Purchase

Posted 02-06-2018 23:00

I will come back with an unequivocal yes to getting a digital board- whether it's a Digico for 10k+ or a Behringer for 2k (and if you're uncertain about the quality and capabilities of different brands, search the posts at controlbooth.com for information on sound boards – that site has been invaluable to me!).  

All of the major manufactures have plenty of video tutorials, and even if you don't have a person to show your students the ropes on a particular board, once your sound students see what the board can do, I am certain they will spend their own time learning the board.

Going digital, in my opinion – and my students' opinion - is a no-brainer. It allows you and your students to do so much more than they could with an analog board, from saving cues to better EQ control.

One of the things I love about our board is that when teachers need to use the sound system for presentations, I can set things up ahead of time so all they have to do is turn things on – the board will go to the preset levels and they don't have to do anything except turn the microphone on.

If you have the money and no other pressing needs, then yes, get a digital board. Depending on your situation, it might not matter which brand you get (though the number of inputs may matter). Going from an old Yamaha analog board to the new Soundcraft digital board was not a difficult transition, and it has allowed us to do so much more than we could have done in the past.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 8.  RE: Digital Sound Board Purchase

Posted 02-07-2018 09:00
    I have to disagree with some postings here. I think that we should have the best technology available for our students. A digital sound board can give the same teaching situations as a non-digital board. To teach on an analog board and expect a student to know how to use a digital board in the real world is not realistic. We don't still splice recording tape for sound effects, we use QLab. How far back in technology do we have to go to give the students a "real" experience? I try to give my students access to the best, professionally used software and hardware I can. And it pays off. My students have come back to visit and told me that they were far ahead of other students in tech due to the learning they experienced at our school. And to be honest, I find the steep learning curve is on my part, not the students. They grok to the digital hardware almost instinctually.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 9.  RE: Digital Sound Board Purchase

Posted 02-08-2018 08:14
    I agree with the idea that we should provide the best technology we can to get the students ready for the real world. I think there is something really great about learning from the basics first and then moving up. Its like teaching kids to build. Usually they start with the idea of the hammer, and then move to drills even though we don't really use hammers for everything anymore. I also think this concept works for lighting. If they can understand the basics of what buttons to push on a non digital board, they can then start to figure out the move advance board. 

There was an article a long time ago about the fact that when it comes to tech theater, many colleges are starting to see a trend that the students coming in are not really ready for the programs because they have not had the opportunity to work on more modern equipment. 

If you can't afford the higher end stuff, which unfortunately is a lot of us, then find other ways to get that experience for them.  Try working with a local theater company that has higher end equipment, see if they could do a training session at least with your students. 

I get that a lot of this is funding. So find ways around it. But if you can afford to upgrade, do it. It can't hurt, and it opens your space up for better rental opportunities and earning cash flow potentially.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI
    Www.techiegreenroom.com

• 10.  RE: Digital Sound Board Purchase

Posted 02-08-2018 09:37
    In response to Dan Mellitz's comment I have to agree. But I see the problem in not being able to operate the more up-to-date equipment but the ability to see the similarities and how to adapt. Many students are not taught how to deal with change and how to adapt to change using their aquired knowledge. We have an IB program and I find that it teaches students to explore, adapt, see similarities and to intuitively adapt.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY