Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Show Shirts

Posted 01-30-2017 08:20
    Our Spring Musical is underway and the kids are expecting t-shirts because they've gotten them in the past. I looked over our contract and it said that we can't make merchandise for "sale or distribution" but I'm not really sure where cast t-shirts fall.

They paid a fee to be in the show, which would cover the cost of the shirts in addition to some costume and set pieces. I'd like to hear some feedback from other teachers about the legal issues around "giving" the kids a shirt we've designed (with no official logo) that has the name of a licensed show on it. I haven't had this issue yet this year because our first show was Shakespeare.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Amy Strickland
    Drama Teacher
    AL

• 2.  RE: Show Shirts

Posted 01-30-2017 09:40
    I wouldn't think that t-shirts for the cast would be considered Merchandise. And when in doubt, contact the licensing company. 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Show Shirts

Posted 01-30-2017 10:20
    I agree with John. Contact the company, in writing, to ask where the limitations fall. Having not read the contract... merchandising, to me, is for sale to the public. Frequently the cast and crew are allowed to get shirts. Double check though!

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Show Shirts

Posted 01-31-2017 09:18
    I agree with everyone else so far.  Merchandising means selling to the public.  You should be good to go.  That being said, I'd double check with the license holder just to verify.

Mike Hancey
    Musical Theatre, Drama, Theatre Guild, & Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Laramie, WY

• 5.  RE: Show Shirts

Posted 01-31-2017 20:20
    I cover the cost of t-shirts with part of the activity fee and only cast and crew get them so that we are not selling them.   We do not use any copywritten logos.  If you can do this, I think your issue is solved without getting any permissions.   

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga