Open Forum

View Only

Toto for Wizard of Oz

• 1.  Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-02-2017 19:16
    My school is considering doing Wizard of Oz next year. We are interested in discovering how other theaters have dealt with the role of Toto. We don't really want to use a person to play this role. I love the idea of an actual dog onstage but am unsure how that works or where I would even find a dog. Has anyone done this show with a live dog and has anyone done it with maybe a stuffed animal and to what level of success? I'd love any input you can give!
    --
    Lisa Singleterry
    Portland Christian Schools
    Elementary Music & Band Teacher
    High School Drama Director
    Masters of Arts in Teaching

• 2.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-02-2017 21:35
    We did Oz (RSC Version) in 2014 and we did use a real dog (my 10lb black mutt). She was on stage a lot. Either carried by Dorothy or on a leash. We the actors needed to be free of her, we had hooks on the set she could be attached to. A jitterbug took her off stage for the jitterbug scene then brought her back on. I really felt Toto should be as present as possible and my dog handled it really well. She even had a Winkie costume for the part where they steal those outfits. If you have a cooperative, chill dog, it would work. She attended full rehearsals for about 3 weeks. She was one tired pup!

---------------------------------
    Megan Weeks
    Teacher/Director
    Huron Valley Schools
    Milford MI
    ---------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-03-2017 06:46
    We used a combination of live Toto and "Toto-in-a-basket". It worked great for the scenes when Toto just needs to be there and not actually be involved. Although one night during the poppy scene Toto began licking the face of the supposedly passed-out Dorothy, who promptly began to giggle.

------------------------------
    Rob Juergens
    High School Musical Director
    Windham ME

• 4.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-03-2017 07:30
    We used little kids! This was the first school community show we did where we invited the elementary schools to participate, so I asked a few younger children who's parent's I knew to play Toto. It worked out really well!

--
    Hillary Bogers
    Theatre Director
    Jack Britt High School
    910-429-2800

This e-mail is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, re-transmission, copying, or reliance on the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the person transmitting the correspondence immediately. All e-mail correspondence to and from this email may be subject to disclosure to any third party upon request, including the media. It shall not be necessary to disclose: 1) E-mail correspondence which does not constitute a Public Record as defined under N.C.G.S. §132.1 or; 2) a public record which is exempt from disclosure under other applicable State or Federal law.

• 5.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-03-2017 07:32
    I used a real dog and wouldn't have done it any other way. Luckily, I had a student who had the cutest yorkie ever. 
    He was super chill. During some of the scenes that were more dance or movement intensive, the dog would be offstage...but implied that 
    he was in the basket. Since the audience knew he was real, they thought he was in there hanging out. 
    I love using real animals...I would recommend it! (I used a real 1,500 pound camel for Joseph too! So I might be a tad crazy) ;)
    Have fun with Oz!

• 6.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-03-2017 08:31
    We used Toto-in-a-Basket (probably from The Costumer) and it was a hit.  The scene at the beginning when Toto runs back after escaping Elmira Gulch...we slid Toto on stage from behind a curtain.  Once, he hit a barn door and spun out.  The audience thought it was a hoot. In fact, I have students who still comment on the dog we used.  It definitely added to the comedy of the show, so if that's what you want to go for, then that's a safe bet. We had a lot of very positive feedback on the show in general so the fake dog didn't really detect from the overall production. I don't regret using the fake dog all the way through because it added some great memories for our audience as well as our actors and crew.

Christina Iman
    Teacher
    Ripley WV

• 7.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-03-2017 08:44
    We used a real live dog  (little Louie) for our production. He was the SWEETEST, most CALM dog I've ever been around! (Definitely what you want to look for ....a total lap dog!) Our Dorothy carried him often, put him in a basket,but he walked a little too. He just hung out. There was one scene where Toto was supposed to come on and meet Dorothy. We always wondered what he would do. He came out EACH time to meet her from the sides. One time he kind of hesitated, but he came out far enough and she was able to pick him up. 

One thing that I think helped, was each day Dorothy and Toto bonded before each show. His owner, who was a stage manager, would bring him to school and he became Dorothy's sidekick until the end of the show. No one else played with him and his owner would try not to be around them if she could. It really helped that he was very comfortable with her and didn't try and squirm or run from her while she was holding him. 

I hope you can find the perfect dog! Our little ones just LOVED him!

Erika Trahan
    Kaplan LA

• 8.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-03-2017 09:33
    We held auditions for Toto.  Kids who had a dog (I stipulated under 30 pounds) brought them in one at a time AFTER we cast the show.
    I had the owner hold the dog, then had them "sit" on stage. To see if they would stay. Then, had the owner "call" them to see if they would
    obey. If they could do tricks, I asked the owner to show us those. I also asked the owner to walk around the stage and see if the dog would follow. Some did, some didn't.
    We had about 8 dogs audition, and  had the final three meet Dorothy. She held them all and we decided on the winner. She then got to know him and played with him (with the owner, whose child was also in the show)
    and it worked out great. Dorothy had a pocket in her apron which held kibble, and Toto would follow her everywhere. The parent (owner) was also our "wrangler"
    so she kept the dog backstage and occupied when not needed on stage. We brought the dog in during the last two weeks, once the sets etc were done.
    The dog was terrific, and did everything we needed it to do. The kids loved Sandy (It's real name) and the audience couldn't believe we had a "trained" dog!
    I even had Dorothy enter at the top of the show down the aisle through the audience. Then she stood at the top of the steps up to the stage and called Toto, who was then released
    and he ran down the aisle and up onstage and hopped into Dorothy's arms. The audience loved it, and it led right into the opening scene. 
    I try to avoid live animals on stage, but in this case it was a terrific way to do it.

Ron

• 9.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-03-2017 10:23
    We actually used a dog.  She looked just like the actual dog from the movie, and she was older.  We used treats to get her to come.  It was awesome!!!  There was only one time where she started to run away and the kids had to go after her while still in character.  The audience roared with laughter, which I like about a show.

Erica Davidson
    Theater
    University School of Jackson
    232 McClellan Rd
    Jackson, TN 38305
    (731) 571-0803

• 10.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-03-2017 10:34
    I did Oz about 18 years ago, and we used my miniature Schnauzer as Toto. He was on a leash the whole time and worked well with both Dorothys and the Scarecrow. He had two handlers offstage when he wasn't on, and he made his exit from the witch's castle all by himself, responding to a call for a new cookie from one of them. I also had a mom who volunteered to take him outside during intermission so we didn't have that issue to deal with! He came to rehearsal every Monday, when our accompanist, who was a very good friend, stopped at my house to get him, and he was at every rehearsal for the last 2 weeks. The big negatives were that when he was onstage, he wanted to go to the pianist (she'd duck down behind the piano, so he didn't see her) and when he traveled the yellow brick road which ran through the audience, he wanted to stay with me, so I called the show from the lobby for act 1. He was wonderful, and it was a terrific experience for the cast and crew as well as the audience, especially the 700 second-graders who came to our matinee and wanted to pet him. He was a real trouper!

Leslie Weinstein
    Ringgold High School
    Monongahela PA

• 11.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-03-2017 10:45
    I always try to use live animals for our shows. We've used dogs several times (and almost a snake but she kept escaping from her cage -she constantly lifted the lid- and leading us on a hunt).

I hold "auditions" for the pups (it's almost always dogs). In order to even be considered for the part they must be 100% crate trained, potty trained, leash trained, do well with large groups and noises. If they fall in this category then they are brought in to see how they work with the actor. I ultimately decide based on how the chemistry is between the actor who spends the most time with the dog and the person in charge of the pup backstage. 

I've never had any trouble with my puppy actors. In fact, we had a 150+ lb Great Dane as Nana in Peter Pan. :^)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 12.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-03-2017 12:51

We also used a real dog-a darling little, tiny dog belonging to our costumer.  It turns out that the costumer's daughter was cast as the wicked witch and the final night of the show, Elli (the dog)  came out onstage all by herself to show the Lion where Dorothy was being kept-in the witch's lair.  (Elli was secretly coaxed to come to her by the witch before the lights came up! We practiced it several times but she didn't cooperate until the final night!)  It was so hilarious and cute and got a big audience reaction.    Elli was also carried in a basket or on a leash for the show. 

---------------
    Blue Valley Schools - Education Beyond Expectations
    ---------------
    This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential and intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance, disclosure, copying, dissemination or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies. Further, the sender accepts no responsibility for any damage caused by any virus, spyware, malware, or other malicious code transmitted by this e-mail.

• 13.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-04-2017 00:43
    I did the RSC  version many years ago & also wanted a real dog. I actually adopted a Cairn Terrier & trained him for more than year, but he nipped the Wicked Witch on her butt during an early rehearsal, so we then held "auditions" for Toto.

The auditions consisted of some interactive activities with the girl cast as Dorothy. Several parents & students brought in their dog; each thinking their dog was perfect.

Based on those auditions we went with a dog owned by an ensemble member who was able to motivate dog off stage with treats. No leash required. She would just sit in basket for musical numbers & was trained to go to one side of stage or other with owner in the wings with treats. 

It worked out great except closing night when Toto, escaping the tower & pursued by flying monkey, stopped mid-stage, sat down and waited for applause. She eventually went SR  & audience loved it!

Great show still remembered today, mostly because of Toto!

Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 14.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-04-2017 00:49
    Overall, I would recommend using a real dog whenever possible. It adds believabilty and credibility.

Auditions: As others have noted, find a calm dog. Though the closer in appearance to a Cairn Terrier the better, demeanor is more important. For practical reasons, it's usually best to ask cast/crew members first. It allows the pet to have a familiar person there on a consistent basis for supervision.

Rehearsals: Allow enough rehearsals for the dog to bond with the key roles: Dorothy, Miss Gulch/Witch, Tin Man, Scarecrow, etc. I would suggest three weeks. That way it can also get used to going in the basket, "stealing" a sausage from Professor Marvel, being held by Dorothy, staying in place on stage (or even being held) during dance sequences, etc.

Supervision: On stage, a simple leash (not a modern-day extending cord version) works well, obviously nothing too tight around the dog's neck to follow Dorothy and companions on the Yellow Brick Road, though our Toto liked being held. The leash was helpful to hook to the wagon for Somewhere over the Rainbow and later for lightly tying to the fence rail when Dorothy,assists the Scarecrow. Of course, having specific people and places for the dog when it's not on stage is vital for care with water and bathroom breaks, especially at intermission. Because the play usually has many younger kids involved, extra care may be required to make sure they don't "play" with it in a disruptive manner.

Stuffed animal substitute: We had three scenes where we used a stuffed version of the same size and coloring. The first scene was the tornado. Because we were flying (using ZFX), we didn't want a live Toto twenty feet in the air even with Dorothy holding him. For the flying monkey scene, we had one monkey assigned to grab Toto and take him off. He didn't like the flying monkeys in the air or their scary appearances. He reappeared inside the Witch's castle and liked to run out the door on the escape cue...turkey bacon was a motivating factor for that and later in the Wizard behind the curtain scene. The final time was the flying back home after the clicking of the ruby slippers for the same reason as the tornado scene.

Photos are attached. The audience loves it near the start when Toto peeks out from the basket.

It's a very popular show, so I hope you have lots of seats for sale. We sold out our four performances, averaging well over 500 people per show, and sadly had to turn people away at the door because above 540 our limited view seats become basically no view.

Cary Rice
    Drama Director
    Christian Academy of Louisville
    Louisville, KY

• 15.  RE: Toto for Wizard of Oz

Posted 05-04-2017 10:54
    We used a battery operated dog. It worked pretty well. I would go for a real dog if possible but the battery operated one did walk across stage and go where we wanted to! It became a comfort dog for student having a bad day. It lived in my office for several years!
    Cathy

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT