Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  New light board for new black box theatre

Posted 04-30-2019 13:35
      |   view attached
    Hello,
    I just moved into a brand new theatre and would like to update our light board.  We have several par cans, source 4 jr., fresnels and about a dozdn LED pars.  We are currently using a Leprechan 624 that is showing signs of it's age.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    John

------------------------------
    John Rowe
    Theatre Teacher, Advisor Washington Street Players
    Independent School District of Boise
    Boise ID

• 2.  RE: New light board for new black box theatre

Posted 04-30-2019 14:28
    The cheapest solution might be the ETC Nomad. I think it would be $250. You run it on your computer, and it's the same system that is on their boards. You won't have any faders, though.

http://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Consoles/Eos-Family/ETCnomad-ETCnomad-Puck/Overview.aspx

If you're looking for an actual board, put some thought into whether you'll be adding more lights, and whether any will be moving lights. I don't think you can go wrong with an ETC Element, but for a smaller black box, you might not want to spend the $5000+

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: New light board for new black box theatre

Posted 04-30-2019 14:48

I offer a second vote for the Nomad. The ETC Colorsource is a nice option if you need something with faders.

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 4.  RE: New light board for new black box theatre

Posted 05-01-2019 06:21
    I offer a third vote for the Nomad,  it will provide your students the ability to learn the ETC EOS platform of programming, you will need to 1 purchase the Nomad, the $250 is referring to the Educational version which you receive a Dongle to output DMX and you put that on your Laptop or computer in the space, I suggest if you do this to ONLY run the lighting software on this unit and remove any additional programs or options that may interfere with your operation during a show, (Internet, sound programs...etc.)

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 5.  RE: New light board for new black box theatre

Posted 05-01-2019 08:32
    If you do etc nomad (which I highly recommend) I would say get a laptop that is ENTIRELY dedicated to it. YOu don't want your program freezing up midshow cause of some other program running in the background slowing it down.

Also, to go with it and to give your students the experience and knowledge of the layout of an ETC Ion or Element check out getting the very reasonably priced Cmd_key from High Output https://www.cmd-key.com/. 

You can get a slider like experience using Luminosus on a tablet (I have it on an old ipad 2) which is a free program and just needs to have the tablet on the same wifi as the computer you are running nomad off of. 

I also use a couple of midi slider wings with luminosus sometimes but they have proven less than reliable.

Good luck.

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 6.  RE: New light board for new black box theatre

Posted 05-01-2019 08:40
    All the suggestions seem pretty good.  I use an ETC Element in my black box.  Easy to use and has a lot of flexibility for a small blackbox using various types of instruments.  We run LEDS, fresnels, and strips light at one point or another.

https://www.goknight.com/etc-element-40-500-lighting-console-repair/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwh6XmBRDRARIsAKNInDE_6B8c2TtgTEH5FXQlmOqrwAZob425RLoaxnACrlCZGCSg_1eLBj0aAkwWEALw_wcB

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 7.  RE: New light board for new black box theatre

Posted 05-01-2019 12:51
    A good variety of suggestions.  I can't suggest a specific board, but my suggestion to anyone reading this who is also in the throws of purchasing a new light board, is that the equipment you decide to get must be determined by 'Designing Backwards' – by first answering questions about how your program is run as well as your comfort level with light boards, and then looking for equipment that best suits your situation.

It seems like you may be comfortable running light boards, but others reading this post because they're in the same situation may not be.  I've seen too many Drama teachers tearing their hair out over state-of-the-art equipment that has been provided without any regard as to how the theatre program is run and the 'tech comfort' level of the person running the program, to the point that they never end up using their equipment to the full potential - in one case in one school I was hired to design at, the light board had not been used for a year and a half after installation(!). The more complex anyone's theatre program and the more sophisticated anyone's lighting equipment, the more someone is needed who is comfortable with the light board, teaching the light board's operation to students every year, and available to run the light board for others.  It doesn't sound like this is the case with you, but for others, in a situation where there is no one comfortable with the light board then it's best to get a light board that is straightforward and simple to operate. So, to anyone considering a new light board, be sure to get equipment that suits your theatre program and your own tech comfort level. Only each Drama teacher knows what's right for their situation, but consider carefully, because that board is going to be in your theatre for a long time.    

For anyone considering a new light board, here's some questions to ask yourself first. You may think of more, but the point is to look at your program, your staffing, and the level of comfort of the person who will be teaching the board, first, then ask your supplier to find a board that fulfills your situation.  Design Backwards.

What is your comfort level with running light boards?

If you have LEDs what is your comfort level with patching them?

Do you have a Rep Plot?

If you have a black box theatre, will you always use it in the same configuration that will allow for a Rep Plot, or will you frequently be changing the light plot around for individual shows?  Who will do this?  Who will re-patch the board each time?  During what time period will this re-hang, re-focus and re-patch happen - during a class, after school?  

Does your theatre program have a CTE certified tech theatre teacher, or do you do all the tech? 

Who works with the students to teach them how to run the equipment and mentor them each year? 

Is there vocational training for students each year, and who provides this? 

Do your digital native students tend to know more about how to run your light board than you do?

Do older students teach younger students each year, or do you teach new students on the operation of the light board each year?

Is your theatre rented to outside users?  

If so, is your theatre staffed by professional technicians/TD/TM, or are you a one-person-show? 

If so, are outside users expected (and permitted?) to be able to run the equipment on their own, or will there be staff and/or student crews who run the equipment for them? 

Do other groups in your school use the theatre (concerts, variety shows, meetings), and if so who else needs to learn how to operate the equipment, or is tech provided for them?

Who is responsible for restoring the equipment back to rep after each show/event in preparation for the next user?

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Educational Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach
    www.PRESETT.org

- HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS BOOKS (http://www.presett.org/helpful-books.html)
    - LIGHTING INSTITUTE FOR THEATRE TEACHERS - ONLINE MINI COURSES (http://www.presett.org/litt.html)
    - HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS ONLINE COURSE (http://www.presett.org/tmt.html) - NEW! INDEPENDENT STUDY for those who don't have time to join a cohort!
    - THE ECLECTECH SHOPPE (http://www.presett.org/eclectech.html)

beth@PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 8.  RE: New light board for new black box theatre

Posted 05-02-2019 10:45
    I use an ETC Colorsource 20 for a similar black box classroom setup, and it is ideal - programmable, easy for students to learn and use, very flexible and (mostly) intuitive.  Worth it.

Bryce Cahn
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Tompkins Square Middle School
    New York, NY