Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  dance floor

Posted 02-13-2017 08:20
    Good morning,
    I'm wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for a dance floor that we can put down to protect our wood stage floor when we use tap shoes.  We used them once and it chewed up the floor pretty good (enough that the powers that be want us to protect it).  We've tried a vinyl dance flooring but it deadens the taps to the point where they can't be heard.  Masonite is expensive... so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 2.  RE: dance floor

Posted 02-13-2017 09:18
    What's the floor made of? Our dance studio was recently re-floored by our landlord. He chose white pine for cost, not realizing the damage tap shoes would do.

Our solution was to refinish the floor. We rented a floor sander to even out the damage, then did two coats of satin-finish polyurethane. The damage has been covered, the finish is effective at protecting the floor from further distress, and it looks a thousand percent better than tung-oil-treated white pine. We did it all (including sander rental) for less than $250.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: dance floor

Posted 02-13-2017 09:41
    If the marley isn't working for you I'd also recommend finishing the wooden floor. BUT, if you do, make sure you have a good supply of rosin to prevent slipping when it is used for other classes. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: dance floor

Posted 02-16-2017 12:45
    Hi Josh,
    Our floor is pine. Unfortunately, we aren't allowed to do the floor ourselves and it moist be done by school maintenance, which is why I need to find a covering to lay down. If I put in a work order , it won't be done until summer.

Someone on Facebook suggested poplar 1/4 ply. Anyone try this before?

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: dance floor

Posted 02-17-2017 12:41

We use 1/4 inch tempered hardboard to cover our stage floor.   It can floated on the floor and tapped together with Gaffer's tape.  Paint it flat black and all is good.  Damaged sheets can be pulled up and replaced for about 11 dollars a sheet.

A Snap Lock Floor would be my ultimate choice, however.

It would be a good experience to ask a theater consultant to look at your space and get several quotes for a floor.  

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 6.  RE: dance floor

Posted 09-08-2020 08:07
    Hehttps://www.truesoundhire.co.uk/hire-packages/item/white-starlit-dance-floor/ ."}" data-sheets-userformat="{"2":2817,"3":{"1":0},"11":3,"12":0,"14":{"1":2,"2":0}}">llo! There are several budget options to fit your purpose as follows: Rosco Dance Floor Reversible - portable and made of marley; Home Dance Floor Package, Adagio Basic 10.5 ft x 10 - The basic package comes with 20 linear feet of marley home dance flooring and one roll of tape. It is designed for quick and easy installation at home on any hard, flat surface. This black home dance floor will make any room look like a professional dance studio, and at a great price; Portable Dance Floor Tile 1 ft x 1 ft - very portable and easy to assemble. You can find all of these at https://www.truesoundhire.co.uk/hire-packages/item/white-starlit-dance-floor/ .

Claire Sutherland
    Bishop Sutton WA

• 7.  RE: dance floor

Posted 09-08-2020 11:27
    Good morning,

We had the same issue. I put a marley floor down and used Shure boundary mics on the edge of the stage for amplification of the taps. Great sound!

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School