Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Writing the Musical Revue

Posted 12-21-2016 14:20

<g class="gr_ gr_84 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="84" data-gr-id="84">Hello</g> all.  I am in need of some help.  I teach at a fairly rural high school in North Carolina, and honestly, <g class="gr_ gr_267 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="267" data-gr-id="267"><g class="gr_ gr_268 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="268" data-gr-id="268">theatre</g></g> is not very high on the priority list of anyone other than myself and VERY few students.  We were supposed to produce High School Musical in the spring, but I could not cast it with the turnout I had.  Instead, I am thinking or putting together a musical revue in order to use the students that did show <g class="gr_ gr_501 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="501" data-gr-id="501">up,</g> and to showcase their work.  My question is this...and I know there has been a lot of talk about <g class="gr_ gr_647 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="647" data-gr-id="647">copywright</g> on these pages, but I am very confused.  Do I need to pay royalties to each and every song we use?  Is this considered a "concert"?  How do I get the rights to these songs?  Is my school system's blanket ASCAP/BMI license allowing me to use these songs to perform in a revue?  Any help would be appreciated.  We are starting rehearsals very soon after the winter break.

------------------------------
    J. Michael Beech
    Gastonia NC

• 2.  RE: Writing the Musical Revue

Posted 12-23-2016 11:06

Hi J. Michael,

Many of your questions are answered in past discussions on this topic; please have a look at the threads linked below.

The only aspect in your post that causes concern is the title "Writing A Musical Revue." 

As you read through the threads below, you'll see that selecting songs for a revue of your own creation are generally fine (in a school setting), but when you use the word 'writing' little red flags go off in my head. When using the word "writing' I get the impression that you want to create a story linking the songs or create a plot of some sort ---- those cross a line from small rights into grand rights territory and will involve (even in a school setting) clearances with music publishers. If you stick to the concert/revue non-dramatic use you should be fine.

Broadway Musical Review (October 2014)

Musical Revues for High School (April 2015)

Musical Cuttings (June 2015)

Michael McDonough
    TRW Director of Amateur Licensing
    New York