Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Good comedies for season opener and good one acts

Posted 02-08-2018 08:56

Hi everyone. I am swamped with musical, the National Shakespeare Competition and a hundred other things (As I'm sure all of you are as well) . I would appreciate any suggestions you can offer. My situation is that I teach at a Catholic school so I must be careful with play content (Though I am one to push the envelope a bit). I am looking for a good full length comedy for the fall. We did Radium Girls this year so I think we need to lighten it up next year. Also, we are preparing for the end of the year class showcases and I am struggling to find quality one acts. I really can not take the "plays for high school students" I find on Playscripts and other sites. Maybe I am just missing the good ones. I would appreciate any suggestions. My reading time is limited so I would like to quickly hone in on some well reviewed selections. I trust this group of intelligent and creative members.  

Thank you.

Teresa

Teresa De Zarn 

Theatre Director

Archbishop McNicholas High School

513.231.3500 ext. 5137

513.231.1351--fax
    http://www.mcnhs.org

• 2.  RE: Good comedies for season opener and good one acts

Posted 02-08-2018 09:27
    One-act suggestions:

• We had a great time with "The Internet is Distract -- Oh Look a Kitten!" by Ian McWethy (Playscripts).
    • I also liked "Dystopia! The Hungry Maze Game of Divergent Death" by Don Zolidis (also Playscripts), but read it first to make sure of its content. I got the OK to do it, but just barely, and we are in a Southern Baptist community on the buckle of the Bible Belt.
    Both are light, large-cast, timely, with satisfying endings.

For a full length comedy (stop me if you've heard these before):

• Harvey by Mary Chase
    • The Curious Savage by John Patrick
    • If a Man Answers by Winifred Wolfe

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Good comedies for season opener and good one acts

Posted 02-08-2018 09:32
    What size casts are you looking for? Some options we've done are:

- Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 by John Bishop (cast of 10)
    - Fools by Neil Simon (cast of 10)
    - Happily Ever Once Upon by Virgina Kidd (medium size cast)

Once acts:

- 11 Variations of Friar John's Failure by Yuri Baranovski (comedy)
    - Creature Features by Christian Kiley
    - Booby Trap by Ed Monk (if you're okay with a military based piece)
    - The Dark Road by Laura Lundgren Smith (Holocaust piece)

I also have an original one act that you can look at. I'm looking for a few groups to produce it and let me know what worked, didn't, suggestions, etc. The cast is flexible and ultimately revolves around the idea of self sacrifice for the benefit of others. Let me know if you're interested in taking a look at it.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Good comedies for season opener and good one acts

Posted 02-09-2018 07:51
    I'd recommend "betweenity" by Lindsay Price, available at Theatrefolks. It's an exploration of the spaces between words, and is emotionally textured for a variety of actors' interests, while at the same time utilizing a tight ensemble. My students and I loved it, and it was competitive in our one-act festival program.

--

"The mission of The Sharon Academy is to nurture intelligent, independent, and creative thinking in a small school community, awakening students to their immense potential and the difference they can make in the world." 

• 5.  RE: Good comedies for season opener and good one acts

Posted 02-09-2018 07:59
    Teresa,

Have you looked at "Daisy Pulls It Off?" Very funny, 1920s British boarding school comedy. Very appropriate but girl heavy.

Good Luck!

Jen

--
    Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater & Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    413-395-7023