Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mary Poppins Jr Rehearsal Time

Posted 06-12-2018 09:53
    I'm directing a summer music theatre camp for the first time and looking for a show to do.  My inclination is that I'd like to do a musical but I'm not sure I can pull one off in the short amount of time we have.  The sessions are 2 weeks, 4 hours a day, 4 days a week - so 32 hours....?  Is even considering doing Mary Poppins Jr a crazy idea?  Thanks for any input!

------------------------------
    Linda Urban
    Haverhill MA

• 2.  RE: Mary Poppins Jr Rehearsal Time

Posted 06-12-2018 21:24
    ​Good evening,

WOW....that is quite an undertaking. I would applaud you if you could pull it off but that is a lot to cram into a tight time period. Also you have to have disciplined kids to pull it off. We just closed our theatre camp and we had musical numbers from our shows next season. It was a highly successful and we filled the lower level of our auditorium.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 3.  RE: Mary Poppins Jr Rehearsal Time

Posted 06-13-2018 07:38
    Thank you for your input.  It's too much show with too little time, I agree.  On with the search!

Linda Urban
    Haverhill MA

• 4.  RE: Mary Poppins Jr Rehearsal Time

Posted 06-14-2018 06:22
    Consider Suessical, Jr. The songs are catchy, the sets and costumes can be elaborate or toned down. We did it for summer camp a couple of years ago and it was a huge success.

Myndee Washington
    Former Troupe Director 6630/88621

• 5.  RE: Mary Poppins Jr Rehearsal Time

Posted 06-13-2018 07:06
    What age group are you working with? Will you have a music director or choreographer to help you double-down on rehearsal time? Some of the G2K shows could work, too. Whatever age group you have, you will want to make sure they memorize lines and lyrics. encouraging them to do that will help.

--

• 6.  RE: Mary Poppins Jr Rehearsal Time

Posted 06-13-2018 07:41
    The kids are 6-8 graders.  I came to my senses about Mary Poppins.  I'm interested in anything you might have tried with this age group that might include some mix of music and drama...? Thanks so much for chatting!

Linda Urban
    Haverhill MA

• 7.  RE: Mary Poppins Jr Rehearsal Time

Posted 06-13-2018 09:45
    I am directing LITTLE MERMAID JR now with ages 5-17 and have similar rehearsal schedule. We are having a great time. It is totally youth produced. My Asst. Director, P.A. and Costumer just graduated from Community Colleges; my Choreographer and Musical Director are high school seniors.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 8.  RE: Mary Poppins Jr Rehearsal Time

Posted 06-15-2018 13:06
    I'd suggest either Schoolhouse Rock, Jr or Dear Edwina Jr. I've had my eye on How to Eat Like a Child for a while, but have never produced it.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL