Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  XXXL Suit for Harvey

Posted 09-26-2017 09:56
    The director I am working with is insisting on an actual suit for Harvey that will go OVER the rabbit costume.   I disagree, as he is referring to the production notes and not the actual script, but...give the director what they want, eh?  AND...this is after I already spent $175 on a brand new rabbit costume.

Any one know of a place I can find a suit that will fit over a rabbit costume on a 6 and a half foot boy/man?

Thanks!

Ms. Valerie O'Riordan, AEA |​  Drama Director, Russi House Provincial
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    175 Phelan Avenue, 
    ​SF​ 
    CA  94112
    ​  #russirocks​

Four Houses One Roof 

Fall Play HARVEY opens November 10 @ 8pm
    Directed by Joey Klobas '07

• 2.  RE: XXXL Suit for Harvey

Posted 09-27-2017 07:13
    Like all other things, Amazon will have what you need for the cheapest price.  Search under big & tall men's clothing and you should find it.  I can't speak to the quality, but I searched for sport coats for men with a 60 inch chest, and found plenty.

------------------------------
    Robert Ellis
    Theater I-IV Honors
    Performing Arts Department Lead
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, VA

• 3.  RE: XXXL Suit for Harvey

Posted 09-27-2017 10:42
    Thank you all for the feedback.  I agree that the rabbit can (and should) be invisible to all.  This director wants to see Harvey now and then, so there you have it.  Were I directing the show I wouldn't need to purchase a $175 rabbit suit for a XXXL suit (from a production note).  But...I'm just the producer and trying to give my guest director what he wants. 

I appreciate all your feedback, thanks!

Valerie O'Riordan
    Drama Director, MFA, AEA, Russi House Provincial
    Archbishop Riordan High School
    San Francisco CA voriordan@riordanhs.org

• 4.  RE: XXXL Suit for Harvey

Posted 09-27-2017 08:06
    I did this show a couple of years ago and I didn't have anyone actually playing Harvey. The actor playing Elwood just spoke to him as if he were there the whole time. We had doors that opened and closed by themselves, etc. It was very effective and challenging for the actor.

• 5.  RE: XXXL Suit for Harvey

Posted 09-27-2017 08:14
    Same...I've been Veta once and directed once, and in both productions the rabbit was invisible (except to Elwood).

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 6.  RE: XXXL Suit for Harvey

Posted 09-27-2017 15:06
    My script says that Elwood is carrying Harvey's hat and coat when he enters and proceeds to hang those along with his own hat and coat. In that case, the size of Harvey's jacket really wouldn't matter. All other references to Harvey in the stage directions are that he's invisible. I know you're the producer and not the director, but I think this play completely loses its meaning if we see Harvey. Just my two cents.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 7.  RE: XXXL Suit for Harvey

Posted 09-28-2017 03:05
    The original script has Harvey as an invisible pookah. There is a portrait of him with Elwood, but that's a painting - we still never see Harvey himself.  

Kathleen Conner
    California State Thespians CFO

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone on the Verizon 4G LTE Network

• 8.  RE: XXXL Suit for Harvey

Posted 09-28-2017 08:24
    I was in a production Harvey in high school and have directed it for our community theater.  Neither time did we actually have a rabbit on stage. We also had doors that opened and shut "by themselves" and we all just pretended Harvey was there. Once we considered having Harvey cross the stage at the very end, but it never materialized.   Good luck finding the suit.