Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  INDIANA choir & band concert ticket sales

Posted 08-29-2019 08:29
    For Indiana Directors: 
    As most of you, my budget has been cut and cut and cut for auditorium expenses. I no longer receive enough money each year to cover lamps and batteries for outside groups that use the auditorium and now buy them out of my own theatre department money.

I am putting together a proposal where audience members would pay to attend elementary through high school band and choir concerts. (Currently they are free.) Part of the ticket sales would go for auditorium supplies and part would go to the groups as their budgets have also been cut. My question is: Does your school system charge audience members for band and choir concerts? It won't help to tell me if your lamps and batteries are paid for by the school corporation - mine are not. I just need to know if your audience members buy tickets to attend non-theatre elementary through high school events.

Thanks,
    Ann 

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    Executive Board of Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)

• 2.  RE: INDIANA choir & band concert ticket sales

Posted 08-30-2019 07:04
    Yes, we charge.  The theater has NO budget at all at our school.  The stage is actually a multipurpose room that is used by many.  In fact, due to an after school study hall in the location, I can't even use it after school for the first hour and have to try to rehearse in my classroom--not fun when you're doing a musical with a large cast.  Our only funds for costumes, set building supplies, and and equipment come from ticket sales and donations.  If your district will let you, I recommend posting a project on donors choose.  Otherwise, ticket sales (even small ones of a dollar or two) will help tremendously.

------------------------------
    Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Hawthorne FL

• 3.  RE: INDIANA choir & band concert ticket sales

Posted 08-30-2019 09:03

We do not. It is our viewpoint that charging for band and choir performances (which are demonstrations of classroom training) would be inappropriate. That would be a hard sell in my community since the parents of both groups are also so active already in fundraisers for both groups. Seems like you are just hitting your base twice. 

Funding is terribly difficult and not equitable among various school groups that is certain. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 4.  RE: INDIANA choir & band concert ticket sales

Posted 08-30-2019 09:28
    We do not charge for band and choir anymore... for many years the choir did charge $3 per person and $10 per family and the band took donations at the door. The idea was to offset the cost of music and uniforms/robes because the district did not provide enough funds for either group. Four years ago, when we had a change in administration, they were told they could no longer charge for concerts. I am still allowed to charge for my Theatre Class shows, however, because the costs of scripts and royalties are paid through my extra curricular account and not by the district.

Toni Thomas
    English & Theatre Teacher & Director
    Ogemaw Heights High School

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: INDIANA choir & band concert ticket sales

Posted 08-31-2019 10:22
    Yes we charge $3/students and $5/adults for our high school choir and band performances at our school. One of the middle school bands uses our space for their concerts and they charge for admission as well. It's really the only real funding that they get.

Melissa Brassard
    Hobart IN