Open Forum

View Only

Corona fears

• 1.  Corona fears

Posted 03-07-2020 09:48
    Who else is worried about large group gatherings getting scuttled before spring musical performance time? Any creative ways to do pay per view live feeds in the event of that development? Is that even kosher, let alone technically feasible? I see a colleague in Redmond, Washington has already been forced into cancellation. We perform in Northeast Ohio in early May and I’m trying to think ahead on contingency planning. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-07-2020 15:24
    So far, no cases in Ohio, but I'm sure they are coming.  Not sure about how pay-per-view would work.  We are potentially in the same boat.  I am in central Ohio.

------------------------------
    Patricia J. Santanello
    Educational Theatre Association - Ohio Chapter
    Co-Chapter Director
    Dublin Scioto High School
    psdirector2003@hotmail.com
    Dublin, Ohio

• 3.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-08-2020 10:11
    We are in Northwest Ohio and go up at the end of April and I have been thinking the same thing about Corona.  If we are shut done and can't perform, how do you make up the funds that have already been spent?

Rob Gentry
    Director of Theatre
    Perrysburg High School
    Perrysburg, OH
    rgentry@perrysburgschools.net
    419-874-3181 ext 5105

• 4.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-08-2020 10:19
    This site came up in a simple search that seems to provide the opportunity for relatively affordable "webinars" that you can also monetize. Kind of like a pay-per-view stream. There may be others. I'm going to look into this and see if it is feasible as a back-up. Spread the word. The show must go on!https://zoom.us/webinar

• 5.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-09-2020 04:49
    I'm sure it's been mentioned already - but before you live stream, you need to get permission from the rights holders.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 6.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-08-2020 03:38
    We had our production, due to open on the 11th, cancelled yesterday, along with our Performing Arts Boosters gala fundraiser. We are very much in danger of losing our program if we aren't able to perform our show at a later date AND make up for the thousands lost on the fundraiser.

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 7.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-09-2020 08:22

If you go the webinar route (or Facebook Live etc) there are a couple of things to consider to keep the production values high.

AUDIO:

• What a live audience hears is very different than even the sum of what the microphones pickup when put on tape (or digital file) for playback
    • Mix for the feed not the room – use headphones to get the balance right
    • Since there is no room acoustic energy, capturing the pit audio or the un-miked chorus is a little more tricky
      • Overheads can be good for the pit, but any vocals they pickup could interact with the vocals from wireless mics, making the vocal muddy
      • If you use overheads on the pit, you will still likely need to close mic the strings and woodwinds (flutes) to get a good balance
      • For the chorus it might be worth
        • putting a few (change which members each song) on stand microphones,
        •  use hanging choir mics or floor (boundary) mics
          • These work much better when recording (or live streaming) than they do in a live room with a loud sound system, where they tend to cause premature feedback
      • Use some reverb on the mix to simulate the effect the room has on the total sound

VIDEO:

• If you have the capability, use multiple cameras, a camera/video switcher, an operator for the switcher and a director calling the camera shots
    • The lighting may need to change to clearly see things on video that are obvious live
    • Rehearse the show with the video crew

RIGHTS:

• You must contact the rights owner of the show to seek written permission – if doinf one of Don Zoldis' you have already been granted that permission, but not all owners will be so kind.
      • It is not a matter if you will be caught or not – it is about what we teach our children about right and wrong, about copyright and intellectual property rights – be a good example
      • To say I have been disappointed when seeing shows pirated, scripts photocopied, music played without licencing is an understatement – it teaches that the law doesn't matter – we are getting enough of that from politicains we do not need it at the school level

CANCELLATIONS and RECOUPING LOSSES:

• Can't speak for other vendors but
      • If you cancel a week before we need to ship gear to you, there will e NO charges and we will arrange to refund you funds
      • If between a week and actual shipping there will be a flat $100 service charge
      • If after shipping – including after delivery, but before the first show with an audience - there will be a charge of $100 plus the cost of shipping
      • After that we will try rto work with you based on the time used, number of shows cancellt=ed etc
      • Please bear in mind that school and community amateur theatre is virtually all that we do, and we have a kid in college who we would like to be able to keep there
    • Reach out early to any vendors you have and see what they are willing to do in the event of a cancellation due to Coronavirus-Covid19

•        signature_1196270002

________________________________________________________________________

ROD REILLY ... PRINCIPAL

(E&OE Errors and Omissions Excepted)

........signature_695609797

bodymics, bodymics.com, bodymics.rentals

all members of the Reilly SR LLC Group

T:  908-899-1277

A:  283 Lincoln Blvd, Middlesex NJ 08846

___________________________________-___________________________________

Some of Our Own Brands

BM Audio, Creative Audio, RFdevices, Rack'D

Some of the Brands we Sell:

Shure, Sennheiser, Galaxy, CAD, dbx, JBL, QSC

Soundcraft, Allen & Heath, Midas, Presonus

• 8.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-08-2020 11:35
    From a rights standpoint, you will want to check with your play's publisher. I'm sure they will be very accommodating. 

If you're doing one of my plays, I absolutely grant permission to do a performance as a webinar instead of live if it is deemed necessary in your community.

Don Zolidis
    Austin TX

• 9.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-09-2020 13:07
    Thank you Don Zolidis for being so accommodating and understanding!

--
    Brooke Phillips
    Teacher/Director of Theatre
    Millard West High School
    Co Chapter Director-Nebraska Thespians

• 10.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-12-2020 07:45

Don Zolidis I can not thank you enough for your understanding! Our production of "Game of Tiaras" at the end of April may be in danger. We're meeting today on plans to go online. Any s
    thoughts on rehearsals online? More then running lines I mean. 

The kids are SO excited to perform your show so I really hope we can figure something out! Thank you!

Kendra Hixon
    Eaton High School
    (Colorado)

Kendra Hixon
    Theatre Teacher
    Eaton CO

• 11.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-14-2020 14:15
    Hi everyone,

I'm a little behind the curve on this, but let me add that anyone doing a production of Radium Girls has my permission to  present it as a live-stream or webinar; you don't have to check w/me first. I conveyed that to my publisher, Dramatic Publishing, yesterday. And if you like, send me a link -- I'll post it to my FB page and try to get you a little love.

DWG

D.W. Gregory
    Playwright
    Shepherdstown WV

• 12.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-09-2020 10:29
    We're in Eastern Washington, so the fear out here is very real (the state Thespian Festival has already been cancelled), though thankfully COVID-19 has not yet gotten to our county yet. We perform in May, so I'm hoping things will have settled by then. One idea that I've seen advertised at a theatre in Seattle (shout out to Jet City Improv!) is having buffer seats. Only sell, at most, every other seat in the house. Have spaces between every seat (and don't sell them for other shows either), and wipe down the ones you do sell after each show. Be very public about the measures and precautions you are taking. If your district or administration shuts down all large group gatherings, it may be out of your hands, but perhaps you can alleviate fears and help keep your patrons safe if you are allowed to perform.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 13.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-10-2020 09:41
    Anybody have experience postponing a show with TRW? ​ I have an email in but no response yet.  We are scheduled for April 2-4.

Nell Lynch

• 14.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-11-2020 10:03
    Our middle school show was canceled (along with all sports games and large meetings - big fundraisers). The district thinks there's a chance of rescheduling but really between everyone's schedules and the calendar at the venue it's highly unlikely.

Penelope Haskew
    Director of Education
    San Juan Comunity Theatre
    Friday Harbor WA

• 15.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-10-2020 09:49
    ​Just heard from TRW---
    "There are no fees to postpone and you are able to postpone up to the end of your school year. " 
    Hope others have similar responses! They seem to be on top of things and replied within 24 hours.

Nell Lynch

• 16.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-13-2020 15:47

Like Don, I'm giving blanket permission for anyone who needs to innovate (i.e. live-stream or other digital format) to perform my work. Heck, if you do a live-stream, I'd love to watch if I can.

Also, at YouthPLAYS, we sent out an email to all customers this morning. Performances can be postponed as long as needed, and we're allowing live-streaming on all plays where the author has allowed a video license (which is almost everything). The full email is here.

I would urge people to try to postpone rather than cancel productions, because this is going to be a very tough time for writers, who depend on their royalties to live.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 17.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-10-2020 14:03
    We lost our venue last week due to concerns over the virus and yesterday suspended production. We'd been scheduled to open our musical March 19th. I'd already discussed contingencies with school admin beforehand, including live streaming, film adaptation and scaling down to a chamber production for smaller audiences. All of those options remain on the table. The ground can shift quickly beneath your feet with this pandemic so I suggest not falling too much in love with any one plan. Where I work - Burien, WA - we could find ourselves in an extended school closure at any time.

On the plus side, my MTI rep was very reassuring. He told me to just let him know when we have new dates and that there would be no penalty for rescheduling. We didn't discuss cancellation. High marks also for Seattle Children's Theatre, from whom we rented puppets.

I'm inclined to honor the guidelines currently in place in our region limiting large gatherings. Remember that COVID`19 is especially dangerous to the elderly, and that's our audience.

James Lapan
    Theatre Arts Director
    Kennedy Catholic High School
    Burien WA

• 18.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-12-2020 11:02
    Seeing lots here about local cancellations. I am wondering if there is any discussion of canceling the national conference in June?

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 19.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-12-2020 13:18
    Hi Scott,

All plans for ITF 2020 remain on track at this time. EdTA is continuing to monitor the situation with COVID-19, and we are providing regular updates on our website as circumstances evolve. Please continue to check our website for up-to-date information.

Allison Dolan
    Chief Content Officer
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 20.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-13-2020 18:36

On March 9, Pioneer Drama Service sent out a newsletter giving blanket permission to live stream ANY Pioneer play or musical without any password protection required.

Since many of our customers do not have access to a live streaming platform, we have since expanded this to include posting a video of your production on your website.

We are also extremely flexible about any date changes required and are happy to accommodate all requests. 

It breaks our hearts every time we hear of a cancelled performance, thinking of all the disappointed kids who have worked so hard! We don't want to see this happen! We pride ourselves on our flexibility and invite you to learn more, including pricing details, about the many alternatives we offer:  https://www.pioneerdrama.com/Newsletter/Articles/Virtual_Shows.asp

Your students have been working hard, and Pioneer Drama Service is committed to work with you to make it as easy as possible to find a way for their efforts to come to fruition. 

Touching Lives Through Theatre Together... but now with hand sanitizer!

Debra Fendrich
    Executive Editor
    Pioneer Drama Service
    www.pioneerdrama.com
    debra@pioneerdrama.com
    800-333-7262

• 21.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-14-2020 11:39
    I don't know if Playscripts will send out a second e-mail on the subject, but I contacted them and asked them to add all of my plays to the list of those that they license that may be live-streamed under the current circumstances.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 22.  RE: Corona fears

Posted 03-15-2020 22:26
    The EdTA did a wonderful round-up, but to reiterate: Concord Theatricals, like many companies at the moment, is open for business but the team is working remotely. We appreciate your patience and we will respond to you as quickly as possible. If you have queries about the impact of COVID-19 on your production, you can check out our FAQ page here.

Please stay safe and healthy.

Abbie

Abbie Van Nostrand
    VP, Client Relations & Community Engagement
    Concord Theatricals
    New York NY