Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Directing Unit

Posted 01-23-2019 16:22
    Anyone out there have a good directing unit they'd like to share? I teach a beginning Drama class at the same time as an Advanced Drama class. I'd like to have the advanced students (9 of them) direct the beginning students (20 of them) somehow. Any ideas?

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 2.  RE: Directing Unit

Posted 01-24-2019 15:56
    I don't have anything in an organized form that I can share because it shifts a bit every year, but I do a directing unit with my Introduction to Theatre students, focusing on movement and devising over scene work.  Sometimes we do an abbreviated version of Viewpoints and then I have the students each create a piece according to specific guidelines.  Sometimes I have each student create a movement piece where they sculpt their partner into 3-5 frozen statues and then build in transitions between the positions that help tell a story.  Sometimes I make them biographical and ask the director/ sculptor to express what past, present and future means to them, or sometimes I give them a piece of abstract visual art and ask them to create a story.   We always do a lot of reflection about the experience of directing, being directed, your "style" of directing, and collaboration between the performer and the director. 
    The culmination of the unit is usually a music/ poem video where each student has to express their poem or song visually, using at least one actor besides themselves.  
    This is really the tip of the iceberg, but I am happy to detail anything further that sounds promising.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC