Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Negative Nancys and lazy rehearsers

Posted 11-24-2017 23:58
    How do you guys handle students who are constantly complaining, acting like divas (7th grader who thinks he/she should be the lead role in EVERYTHING), and infect the rest of the cast with their less than stellar rehearsal attitude? I've tried pep-talks, asking if there was a problem outside of class, and reminding everyone that hard work is necessary for a good pay off (They see that I work just as hard as they do), but I have this one student who gets angry when older students get lead roles, when he/she can't be the star, when he/she is asked to actually stand up and do the blocking. I've never had to give out a behavior slip in class before, but this student is getting close. Does anyone have a better method before I move to punitive measures?

Sheryl Davis

--
    Sheryl Davis M.Ed
    Theatre Director
    Summer Camp Director
    Lee Christian School

Virus-free. www.avast.com

• 2.  RE: Negative Nancys and lazy rehearsers

Posted 11-25-2017 07:49
    Do you have set standards for rehearsal etiquette? Maybe Miss Thing needs a break. Have you called home? Can you assign her an understudy? Sometimes a little competitiveness can help. The play's the thing...maybe it's time for her to learn a hard lesson. Good luck!

------------------------------
    Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI

• 3.  RE: Negative Nancys and lazy rehearsers

Posted 11-25-2017 07:56
    I'm so sorry that you have to deal with someone who has this toxic attitude.  First.  I don't think this person wants to be a part of a show; I think they want attention.  And, theatre is a social art.  The kids in the cast, crew, and orchestra all need to to support the efforts of one another and celebrate the successes of their peers.  
    I teach high school, and I make it clear from auditions that your attitude is just as important as your talent.  I even tell kids that I'd rather work with students who have farther to go to reach their potential than go with someone whose maybe naturally more "talented" but who has a sour attitude. 
    During a musical about 4 years ago, we had dueling ensemble girls who would just pick and pick at each other and pit the rest of the girls against the others.  I finally had enough and took every girl in the cast aside and told them all that they could all be replaced.  I also said that the next person who came to me with a personal complaint would not only  be cut from the show, but the person they were complaining about would also be cut.  That seemed to nip it.  It also set the precedent for the underclassmen that I wasn't going to put up with those kinds of diva attitudes.  Stay strong and the other kids will respect you more for it :)  You don't need that kind of attitude and behavior mucking up your program :)

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 4.  RE: Negative Nancys and lazy rehearsers

Posted 11-25-2017 12:46
    HI Sheryl, 
    I think this is something that happens to ALL of us! Here are several things that have helped me over the last 30 something years:) Shared with me from an older and wiser colleague!
    Do not let this continue. The other students are watching and as you have noticed, this attitude will infect the whole bunch. 
    Pull the offender aside privately and have a serious discussion with them immediately.  Don't wait for the next incident. Something along the lines of, "This is MY job and here are the things I am responsible for...one of them is casting as I see beneficial for the WHOLE production, etc..."  "This is YOUR job as a student, including your work ethic, teamwork, blocking and attitude..." Explain to them what your expectations are of every student and that their own choices are jeopardizing their part in the play. If THEY choose not to do their part, then they have chosen not to be part of the production. Then, your job will be to replace them because of the choices they made.  This takes the burden off you to make everything happen and puts it squarely on them where it belongs.  Let the little darling know exactly what is expected of them from now on, so there is clarity on both sides. (As a side note: I see that you are also from a Christian school. As Christian educators, we have the ability to pray with our students and talk to them from a Biblical perspective. This self-serving attitude certainly doesn't conform to a Biblical world view. Not that those ideas are foreign to other educational ideas of course, but that's an added benefit to you as a teacher, being able to speak to them from that point of view.)
    Get in touch with the parents immediately. Parents and educators are on the same side, helping children grow to be responsible, mature citizens. If you can get the parents on your side of this issue, seeing it as an opportunity for the child to grow, it will be easier for you. 
    Lastly, during the next rehearsal, notice everything the offender does.  Praise for anything they do that's in line with your expectations, and halt them immediately for any infractions, then keep it up!  IF they decide they want to be in the play, they will show you by their new attitude. If not, remove them immediately and try not to feel sorry for them.  This was a choice they made.  This will send a clear message, not only to them, but to the rest of the class as well, and honestly, the rest of the cast will be relieved that you took care of this. They are probably more tired of the attitude than you are. 
    Hope this helps Sheryl!  
    Many Blessings,

Sheri Templeton
    Valley Christian High School
    Chandler, AZ

• 5.  RE: Negative Nancys and lazy rehearsers

Posted 11-25-2017 13:53
    Ive taught theatre at high school for 26 years, and close to 100 shows. It's a team. 
    These kids must learn discipline, and humility. Nobody's above pushing a broom. There are times when you have to draw the line in sand. Drop the kid from the show. The rest of your kids will benefit. The end. Lesson learned for all.

Ginger Latimer
    Performing Arts Chair/ Theatre Director
    Madera CA

• 6.  RE: Negative Nancys and lazy rehearsers

Posted 11-25-2017 17:16
    I tell my kids that I care more about their character than the character before each audition.  I stress that I would rather work with hard working kind students.  If students become about themselves, than I don't need them negatively impacting the rest of the cast, even if they are talented.  If you are in a situation where all kids get a part, that is a bit trickier.  However, maybe this would get the student thinking so that he/she has better opportunities in future productions.

Sincerely,

Heathe Stecklein
    Director and Educator of Theatre Arts
    10th Grade Literacy
    Vista PEAK Preparatory 
    (303) 340 0121 x 26246

The Importance of Being Earnest Oct 26, 27, & 28 @ 7pm

Original One Act Festival
    Dec 1 @ 7pm

Into the Woods
    March 1-3 @ 7pm, and 2pm on March 3

Spring Play TBD May 3 & 4 @ 7pm

"I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being." -Oscar Wilde

• 7.  RE: Negative Nancys and lazy rehearsers

Posted 11-29-2017 06:33

"Put the needs of the show before your own needs."

I'm not sure where I picked up this nugget...probably on these boards, so apologies for not crediting the source. But this makes so much sense and the kids understand it. We talk about it, and reinforce that we are here to tell a story together and that needs to be their focus. Socializing during rehearsal, letting ego or pettiness interfere, etc...are all things that take focus away from the needs of the show. 

I also agree that you need to explain expectations and consequences and allow her to make her own choice. (Are her needs more important than the show's?) Also if there's any chance she'll be cut from the show, definitely get parents involved now so they also understand consequences. 

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 8.  RE: Negative Nancys and lazy rehearsers

Posted 11-30-2017 11:33
    What great responses to your question!  Not only do we all struggle with this problem, but we all have the obligation, as educators, to teach students how to be a part of an event which transcends their individual pettiness.  I hear coaches and athletes extol the character-building virtues of athletics, and I believe what they say.  I feel that fine arts programs not only teach cooperation and tenacity, but they also give students confidence in expressing themselves both as cast and crew members.  
    Some of my students have made me pull my hair out, but after the performance was over and I gained the perspective of emotional distance, I realized that they had grown in emotional maturity.  Sometimes we recognize how much better our students become as PERFORMERS, and we need to also see how much they have grown as PEOPLE:-)

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 9.  RE: Negative Nancys and lazy rehearsers

Posted 12-01-2017 11:26
    Thank you all for your advice. I too operate on the personal character is much more important than stage character. I strive to develop good people, and if they happen to become good actors that's even better. I didn't want to cut her from the show and stressed repeatedly that rehearsal behavior is used as part of the audition decision for the next show.  I'll try to be more consistent with calling out good and bad behavior. She did get better as we went through though. I'm going to tell her this week that if she doesn't want to do the next show you let me know now because her behavior is going to determine whether she can or not but we'll just be Tech.

Sheryl Davis
    Secondary Language Arts/Drama Director
    Sanford NC

• 10.  RE: Negative Nancys and lazy rehearsers

Posted 12-04-2017 06:57
    I know you are being inclusive of the student, the first comment asked for a punitive solution, and the last comment stated next time relegated to tech, Is tech punitive...... I have not directed on the high school or jr high level, but in community and professional levels I have seen performers replaced or asked to leave the cast for this purpose, not saying that is what should be done in this instance, but the bad attitude affects the cast and others learn from this person. The problem needs to be addressed with the student or their parents, possibly this person needs to be explained to why they were not cast as the lead as they thought they should be... not saying they weren't but when accepting the role they are, or they should be signing on to create the best show possible not to sabotage the production by being a cancer from the inside, if this is a problem for them now it is not helping them in the future by catering to them, the ponds get larger and the disappointment greater and few go on to longevity.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE