Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Spoofed- evening of one acts

Posted 01-25-2019 12:20

I plan to do an evening of one acts/scenes/songs/and monologues with my middle school students called "Spoofed".

ALl of the pieces in the show will 'parody' or spoof something else.  Since it is my middle schoolers, I'm sticking more to the fairy tales and fables, but if anyone has any ideas of a specific show please let me know.

Also I am trying to find short scenes for the show with pretty much all females and small casts (because my students are spread out at multiple different schools). 

Finally does anyone have any musical numbers that fit this idea.  I'm already planning on doing a song from Shrek for either the opening or closing number (probably Freak Flag for the closing number), but I can't think of one for the opening number.  

------------------------------
    Brittany Bourque
    Raceland LA

• 2.  RE: Spoofed- evening of one acts

Posted 01-25-2019 12:37
    There is a GLUT of "fractured fairy tale" anthologies out there. Look at Heuer, Brooklyn, Pioneer, Eldridge, or a plain-old Google search.

Make sure to contact the publisher about royalties before committing to the piece. Some few are free, but most are very affordable at between $10-$35 per performance.

Shrek, Once Upon a Mattress, Into the Woods, perhaps even Wicked have songs that might work. Again, make sure of permission before using them.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Spoofed- evening of one acts

Posted 01-25-2019 12:43

OF course for the rights.  I've already found a few through Dominion Publishing and Eldridge and I'm in the process of writing a Purchase order for rights.

I didn't even think of once upon a matress

Brittany Bourque
    Raceland LA

• 4.  RE: Spoofed- evening of one acts

Posted 01-26-2019 08:22
    I have performed as Mother Goose for years, and have a script for the stories of The Three Little Pigs and Humpty Dumpty that I adapted myself. We have used them for our Drama Camp, having students in grades 6 - 8th act them out at the end of the camp for their parents.  Would you like them? You could use them at no cost. Let me know.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio