Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Statues for Mary Poppins

Posted 03-27-2017 09:28

Does anyone have tips for makeup and hair for the statues in Mary Poppins?

• 2.  RE: Statues for Mary Poppins

Posted 03-28-2017 10:01
    What comes to mind are the blank masks. They make them in both male and female. Paint them like marble or granite and then add a matching wig, 
    With the wigs, style the wigs into the shape you want then use a spray acryllic to set the wig in place. For granite, start with a grey wig, then spatter to get the granite feel. Marble statues tend to be white or off white; so start with a white or off-white wig. 

The use of masks and wigs means that you don't have to take the time to apply or remove make-up. Because the actors may be needed in the next scene.

Hope this helps

------------------------------
    James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 3.  RE: Statues for Mary Poppins

Posted 03-29-2017 07:25
    I have two suggestions from different experiences I've had. Neither may be feasible, but I thought I'd share... 

1. For All Shook Up, it seems to be the "thing to do" to have the statues come to life and dance/sing during the song "Let Yourself Go," so we got full body suits, put them on the folks wearing them and painted them to look more realistic.Someone would just need to make sure the faces are where they need to be after the suits are on. 

2. For A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, in college, we went full on cartoon and, as such, needed thicker hair. We used mop heads. Of course, this means having someone style them to look like hair. But once it's done, you can paint it however you like. In a separate version of the show, we needed Domina's "bust" and we created it using one of those Styrofoam heads and then, using yard, did the same as before, created a "wig." In this case, we painted it with both light gray and then that speckled paint to look more like stone. 

Hope this helps. 

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA