Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  What is a successful Thespian troupe?

Posted 12-30-2016 10:26

How do you define success for a Thespian troupe? With so many differences from school to school, and the ease of access to pictures/video from other high school performances, how do you convince your students, administrators, parents, and community that your program is successful?

How do you advocate that your program is essential to your school?

In a competitive world with high stakes testing, I think it is important to be able to answer these questions. My fear is that schools with less resources are vulnerable unless they can prove they are successful. 

How can a troupe director prove their program is successful?

------------------------------
    David Tate Hastings
    Kansas Thespians
    Co-Chapter Director
    thespis@kansasthespians.com
    913-481-1868

• 2.  RE: What is a successful Thespian troupe?

Posted 12-30-2016 23:47

A very provocative question indeed.

But rather than jump on a soapbox and decry that we have to justify our programs as successful to continue where athletics does not, here are some metrics I would use in my school:

1)  Sustainability.  Simply put, a profit and loss statement.  Every program uses resources.  How does the use of resources compare to other programs?  Does the program have a large enough student base to ensure longevity?

2)  Community Image.  Does the program contribute to a positive image of the school within the community?  This can be measured by news articles, tickets sales to community members that are not parents of the Thespians in any particular production.

3)  Interscholastic Recognition.  Are students and/or the Troupe recognized for excellence at Regional, State, or International Festivals?  Does the Troupe qualify for Academic awards?

4)  Academic and Technical Education.  How does the program support other content areas?  Are students practicing skills such as mechanical drawing, business and marketing management, script analysis, STEM applications (such as electrical, light and hue, sound, gravitational forces, geometry, etc.)

5)  Student Involvement in School.  Athletics is lauded because it keeps students coming back to school, can we show the same effect?

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington