Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  60 Minute Competition Piece Suggestions

Posted 11-05-2018 09:19
    I'm in the very early stages of looking for a play to enter in SETC competition. It needs to be, or be cutttable to, less than 60 minutes. I attended the competition this year and was inspired to enter it next season.

The two plays that won were The Diviners and Of Mice and Men, and other entries included God of CarnageSilent SkyDriving Miss Daisy,  and Love, Loss, and What I Wore.

There's a big book of requirements, but my main concern in the early stage is the time limit. The show cannot exceed an hour, and we have exactly ten minutes to set up and ten to tear down.

Based on what won, as compared to the other plays (some of which were extremely good), I think we're looking for semi-well-known, character driven plays with a mid-sized cast.

So far, I'm weighing The RainmakerOrdinary PeopleThe Curious Savage, and The Odd Couple (though I hear it's hard to get permission to adapt Simon). Any other "obvious/perfect" choices I'm missing?

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 2.  RE: 60 Minute Competition Piece Suggestions

Posted 11-06-2018 09:46
    Not exactly sure if it's what you're looking for, but I'd take a look at Booby Trap by Ed Monk. There is basically no set and revolves around the life decisions made by a soldier as he recognizes that he tripped an IED that he has no way of surviving. 

https://www.playscripts.com/play/63

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: 60 Minute Competition Piece Suggestions

Posted 11-06-2018 10:46
    In Georgia's One Act Play competition, shortened musicals usually come out on top.  While I tried to keep up for years by pulling together affordable musicals in creative ways, just to try to hang, I've run out of steam.  I tried something different this year and directed Playscript's version of "The 39 Steps: A Live Radio Play."  Already less than an hour long, so no worries about having to cut, which was nice. We did well, 3rd out of the 8, mainly because, I feel, the show was different. My actors were newbies, our accents weren't perfect, and our set changes had some slips, but it gave the judges something different to see. And at the end of the day, we had FUN! The kids, and our community audiences, loved our show. 

Our day of 8 shows started out serious and solemn. Vanities, a show about a school lock down, and another about 9/11.  All very well done, then here we came with a zany, fast paced farce, setting us apart. Then a show with the use of body mics, and then a musical rounded out the day. 

After 8 years trying to master this competition (I did get lucky one year in the mix), I have learned that if you do a classic (or modern) drama, it better be flawless, if you do a comedy, it better be creative and energetic, and if you do a musical, it better be big, loud, and flashy.  It seems like you have already considered this based on your selections, but stay away from shows that are primarily monologues (they just don't appear difficult enough to the judges, I guess) and I would not suggest shows where high school students act like high school students (again on the difficultly level, I guess) these have just not fared well at the advanced levels. And ultimately...pick a show that you and your kids will love, because in the end...it's the happy memories that matter, not the win.

Not sure what direction I will next take, so I too will enjoy the responses to your board!

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 4.  RE: 60 Minute Competition Piece Suggestions

Posted 11-07-2018 12:11
    ​Hi, and good luck at SETC. Finding the right show is always a hard task. Have you thought of doing an adaptation of a classic? George Freek has a 60-minute version of Moliere's The Hypochodriac. It may run a bit shorter than that but I'm sure he would allow cutting. Also there are adaptations of stories from James Joyce's Dubliners. There are 20 - 30 minute adaptations of The Dead, Eveline, and The Boarding House by David H. Klein which would lend themselves to mixing and matching.

Just to come at this from a different angle--the originals are well-known and finding an appropriate stage adaptation might give you something different and familiar at the same time. I'm sure there are other adaptations out there, as well, that you might want to consider.

Jean Klein
    [Playwright/Founder HaveScripts/BlueMoonPlays]
    Virginia Beach VA