Open Forum

View Only

HEADSET Communication system

• 1.  HEADSET Communication system

Posted 01-05-2020 09:25
    Greeting wonderful colleagues!  I'm looking for advice on purchasing a headset system for communication from the tech booth, to the backstage and to areas around the theater. It does have to work through cinderblock walls. 

Our head of school received a recommendation for our IT dept to purchase the Hub series by EARTEC.  http://www.eartec.com/thehubpg1.html I don't know much about technology - so I'm leary.  And I'm guessing our IT dept and head of school like this one because it is 1/4 of the price of the system I usually rent.  Have any of you used this product?  What are your thoughts? Does anyone know where I can find reviews from users?

With gratitude,
    Becky Beth

------------------------------
    [Becky Beth [Benedict]
    [Theater Teacher, Director & Arts Dept Chair]
    [The MacDuffie School
    [Granby] [MA]

• 2.  RE: HEADSET Communication system

Posted 01-05-2020 14:14
    We have the eartec system and like it a lot.  Occasionally we have problems with people cutting out, which I think would be a problem for any wireless system, the same as with wireless mics.  For the most part it has been a great investment for us though.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: HEADSET Communication system

Posted 01-06-2020 09:25
    Hi,

I tried the Eartec system this past fall and it worked great.  As a matter of fact, I am going to purchase it for my school!

Take care,
    Sheila Newton
    Mansfield High School

• 4.  RE: HEADSET Communication system

Posted 01-06-2020 08:32
    A big yes for the system!

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 5.  RE: HEADSET Communication system

Posted 01-06-2020 09:14
    Clear-Com is great as well and offers wireless as well as hard-wired options, but I want to throw in my two cents here as far as headsets are concerned. We recently were given a fine arts center, but weren't consulted on headset options and have two-ear headphones. I would suggest you ask for one ear headsets in order to still hear what's going on around you and on stage. Constantly having to move the other headphone out of the way or awkwardly rest it on the back of your head is frustrating.

Bruce Taws
    Mosley Drama

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

• 6.  RE: HEADSET Communication system

Posted 01-07-2020 07:06
    The EARTEC system is very good for the price point.  I had to return ours because it would not reach all of the areas that I wanted it to (Lobby, Green Room etc.).  However, it worked well inside of the theatre - from the booth to backstage.  As with any wireless system, the connection will be less successful the further the distance and with walls in between.  If that becomes an issue, the only way to fix it is to have a system that can support multiple transceivers / base stations (which will be much more expensive than this type of system).

Guy Barbato
    Technical Director
    Leonardtown MD

• 7.  RE: HEADSET Communication system

Posted 01-07-2020 11:02
    We have this system and it works very well in the auditorium.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 8.  RE: HEADSET Communication system

Posted 01-07-2020 12:49
    I have used eartech in the past and I like them. The issues that I have had is the headset construction. They break easier than I though. Also there is a limit on number of headsets that can be paired to the system. We have Telex hard wired in all over the space including box office, dressing rooms and catwalks. Worked very well. Getting ready to upgrade to Telex wireless that will work in conjunction with the ​current system.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 9.  RE: HEADSET Communication system

Posted 01-09-2020 09:33
    Hello. I went back and forth between the Eartec and the Clear Com and settled on the pricier Clear Com for a couple of reasons, number one being that they are sturdier.  I work with 3rd-12th graders and I was concerned about wear and tear.  They work great, even through concrete walls, but once they get too far away from the base, it's a bigger problem.  I'm considering moving the base and seeing if that helps any for us to reach the classroom we use as a dressing/green room.  In the end, I thought it was better to spend more up front then to have to replace them more often.

Carmen Caldera-Brzoska
    Elizabethtown KY

• 10.  RE: HEADSET Communication system

Posted 01-10-2020 07:52
    I purchased this wireless headset EARTEC package from B&H Photo in NYC. It worked flawlessly. I cannot tell you how relieved I am to not have tethered (yes, you read that correctly) headsets. 700 and change.

Annemarie Bean
    Director of Drama
    Long Trail School
    Dorset VT

• 11.  RE: HEADSET Communication system

Posted 01-11-2020 08:23
    Agreed. I know a lot more about what goes on backstage for my middle school shows now :) also lets me call cues in various settings where communication is not available like cafetoriums. Highly recommend

Steven Couch
    Madison OH