Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Audrey II puppets

Posted 08-15-2017 23:24
    Hi all,
    I will be directing little shop of horrors this fall and wanted to see if anyone's had any leads and/or creative ideas for doing the plant. Any help would be appreciated. 
    Thank you. 
    Jim

Malvern Preparatory School
    418 South Warren Avenue | Malvern, PA 19355
    An Independent, Augustinian, Catholic School

The information contained in or attached to this e-mail contains confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this e-mail is PROHIBITED. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete the e-mail immediately. Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Audrey II puppets

Posted 08-16-2017 07:29
    Hi, I found renting a huge benefit. We talked about making it but the time it would take in the situation I was in would have been the only thing done and we would have had no set lol. So we spent the money and rented from a company called swazzle.com. Great puppets comes with all of them the deliver to you by freight. I would totally use them again.

------------------------------
    Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 3.  RE: Audrey II puppets

Posted 08-16-2017 07:39
    We made ours and they are available for sale. Otherwise, I can talk to you about how we built ours.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA Theatre '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 4.  RE: Audrey II puppets

Posted 08-23-2017 15:58
    How much for the Audrey ll

Tori Scoles
    Theatre Director
    Beaverton OR

• 5.  RE: Audrey II puppets

Posted 08-16-2017 08:03
    James,

We built our own and they have been rented out a couple of times. If you would like to rent, please contact me, otherwise, I would be more than happy to advise on a build for you. I also have the dentist's chair.

Yours in Art,

Jason

Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 6.  RE: Audrey II puppets

Posted 08-16-2017 10:42
    I did a summer workshop production of the show - and didn't use a puppet at all - we had a short timeline, and I always like trying something different.

The first scene with Audrey II - (I also had two young men playing the role) - was my first actor behind the counter and only his head could be seen - and he had a little flower pot collar. He had green plant makeup on his face and we made little plant hats.

We had a giant pot we built that opened from the back and was on wheels. The next time we see the plant - it was the two guys - costumed the same - in the big pot. Then - as each victim was killed - they were pulled into the pot and put on a plant hat (out of audience site - and the next scene they popped up and became part of the plant. In the end - we had the two Audrey IIs - the dentist, Mushnik, Audrey and Seymore all in the planter.

in the finale, all of the actors - the urchins, the chorus - put the plant hats on and came out into the audience. Since it was part of my summer children's theatre, we played up the campiness instead of the creepiness. 

I'm looking for the big plant photos now - but here's the little plant and a photo of us building our giant flower pot.

Glenn Morehouse Olson
    Theater Teacher, Director
    St. Francis MN