Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Line exercises

Posted 01-03-2017 14:57

Favorite exercises to get actors to experiment with a wider variety of tone and pitch in their lines? I am especially looking for ways to help them break the habit of dropping pitch at the end of their lines. Our production is coming up in just a couple of weeks, and they're having trouble across the board. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Line exercises

Posted 01-04-2017 07:53

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but we usually have one day of practice, once off book, where we have fun with the script.  We will do an "accent" run through, where I throw out different dialects.  We will have a "scream" run through, technically to work on projection, but it gets them to see the strength in their voices.  We usually have a "musical" run through, where I'll throw out a genre of music and they sing their lines.  They become more comfortable with the lines themselves and it might help with tone and volume.

Break a leg!

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 3.  RE: Line exercises

Posted 01-04-2017 07:54

A current example that I use is the State Farm ad clips.  There's one about a car where girl and man both speak about their car:  girl getting a new one - man getting his vandalized.  There are also some with thieves/owners looking at new sofa.  I show them and then have the students write the subtext from the vocal techniques that the ads show.

Thanks,

Dorothea Hackett
    DuBois PA

• 4.  RE: Line exercises

Posted 01-04-2017 09:40

I have sat in the audience and rang a bell everytime it happens. It helps them realize the problem and keeps them thinking about it. Then, they make the correction so they don't get "called out" by the bell.  When they stop thinking about it, the bell starts ringing again. With some students it has taken a few rehearsals to break the bad habit, so I'll train a promoter to listen for the issue; that frees me up. 

Susan Nieten
    Theatre Teacher
    Noblesville High School
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten

• 5.  RE: Line exercises

Posted 01-04-2017 10:08

One exercise I use is called "kick the box". I bring in used cardboard boxes and have one for each actor on stage. When they come to the last word of each line or sentence I tell them to kick the box, HARD. (making sure that nobody is in the direct line of fire) This makes the actor tense up enough so that the last bit of air escaping when forming the word is punctuated.

You can always dial that energy down once they get in the habit of pushing a little harder at the end of the line. It has worked for me very well.

Warren

Warren Kerr
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Auburn School District
    Auburn WA

• 6.  RE: Line exercises

Posted 01-05-2017 08:08

I love the Kick the Box idea!

I've been searching for the phrase that describes this problem of dropping pitch and volume at the end of a line. So far I've only come across "thwipping" so I use that. I've also heard someone use the phrase "hold the dishes up"... Probs from someone wearing one of those shirts that says "I'm an actor. May I take your order?" But the idea of sustaining all the way out the door does resonate clearly enough to be useful. 

Anyone got a descriptor other than thwipping?

Douglas Rome
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Fairfax County Public Schools
    Burke VA

• 7.  RE: Line exercises

Posted 01-04-2017 13:41

I use an exercise called "kick the box."  (The box is created by stuffing a small cardboard box and then wrapping it completely with duct tape.) The goal is to speak a line of text and kick the box on the last word (or last stressed syllable if you are using Shakespearean language.) The physical connection with the spoken word strengthens the delivery of line. After using this exercise several times,  a simple reminder during rehearsal to mentally "kick the box" triggers their muscle-memory!  Try it!  It really works! 

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 1777
    Phoenix High School

• 8.  RE: Line exercises

Posted 01-05-2017 08:17

Kicking the box is a great exercise to shift the energy upward toward the end of the line. I also use the "dropping in" exercise for connecting personally to the words/lines themselves. I feel that if the actor is truthful and connecting emotionally to the text, than the inflection and intention often comes naturally. They can also take a few lines out of context and do some Meisner repetition with them. Let me know if you are interested in the "dropping in" exercise and I can go into more detail. All of these exercises ultimately and ironically take the text a bit out of context which I think helps the actor hear the text in a new way. It make it fresh again!

Break A Leg!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 9.  RE: Line exercises

Posted 01-06-2017 11:25

I'd like to hear details on the "dropping in" exercise!

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 1777
    Phoenix High School