Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  #ENOUGH: Plays to End Gun Violence

Posted 12-06-2019 09:05
      |   view attached
    Hello all! My name is Michael Cotey. I'm a proud Thespian alum ('04 president of Troupe 1894) and I'm reaching out to you with an opportunity for your students I hope you'll take part it!

#ENOUGH: Plays to End Gun Violence (www.enoughplays.com) is a campaign of theatre activism designed to give middle and high school students across the country the platform to address the impact gun violence has on their lives and their community.
    Beginning as a nationwide call for submissions of short plays written by students about gun violence and culminating in an evening of simultaneous staged readings across the country, #ENOUGH will enable our young future leaders to turn theatre spaces into civic spaces, uniting communities despite their distances and differences with one voice to say it's time to put an end to gun violence.

So far, over 50 schools and a dozen theatres nationwide have already signed on to participate. We've also partnered with major theaters like Arizona Theatre Company, South Coast Rep, Steppenwolf and Utah Shakespeare Festival.In addition, we've attracted some tremendous playwrights to lend their support to the program. A group of nationally acclaimed playwrights will read the semi-finalists, select the 6-10 finalist plays, and give those young playwrights feedback. That group of playwrights includes Idris Goodwin, Lauren Gunderson, David Henry Hwang, Robert Schenkkan, and Karen Zacarías.

And if that's not enough those young finalist playwrights will be brought out to Utah Shakespeare in August to workshop their plays with the acting company, receive a cash award, have their plays published, and have their plays read in communities across the country.

You can read more about the program via our website (www.enoughplays.com) and sign up to receive updates. Attached is a one-pager on the program you can share. 

I hope you can join us and I look forward to your student participation! I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the project.

------------------------------
    Michael Cotey
    Producer
    #ENOUGH: Plays to End Gun Violence

www.enoughplays.com

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: #ENOUGH: Plays to End Gun Violence

Posted 01-30-2020 11:47
    What a cool way to open up such an important and relevant conversation with our students!

Leanna Oliveira
    Teacher
    West Palm Beach FL