Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

Posted 01-25-2017 05:40
    In Act 1, my 6'2" Rumpelstiltskin is told by the narrator to break himself in half.  Stage directions even say "Rumpelstiltskin breaks himself in half."   I love my actors and try not to break them, but now I have to.  Suggestions on how to stage this?

For those unfamiliar with the show, it is a zany take on traditional fairy tales. My students have described it as Monty Python troupe meet the Grimm Brothers and they have a few drinks together. That said, the more ridiculous the break, the better.  

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Makala Witten
    Christiansburg VA

• 2.  RE: Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

Posted 01-26-2017 07:36
    How about making it cartoony, like a saw the person in half box, have the actor behind something painted like a fake body and carry half away to break it the actor could sell the rest,

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon

Posted 01-27-2017 09:56
    I mounted the show a year ago fall, and it was an enormous success. For the Rumplestilskin breaking himself apart bit, we went for unadulterated cheese-this after the actor stated unequivocally that he would not break himself in two. Go figure.
    We dimmed the lights, the actor make terrible noises, and when the lights came up, there were two plastic legs (Halloween props) lying on a bloody rag. The audience git a real kick out of it.
    I just thought of something. If you go that route, have someone tear cloth or pull apart Velcro for a disgusting, cheesy ripping sound.
    I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone