Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Battery Powered Marquee

Posted 01-09-2018 07:48
    ​Hello all.

Need some help. I am creating a small proscenium supported by actors and the director wants marquee lights around it. They do not have to chase, just light up. We want them mobile so I am looking for a battery powered option. Thoughts?

------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 2.  RE: Battery Powered Marquee

Posted 01-09-2018 08:43
    Battery powered LED's?

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Battery Powered Marquee

Posted 01-10-2018 07:02
    Depending on how large the lights have to be, Amazon has some awesome mini-lights for around $15. You get a 20 ft strand with 8 flash settings. They are called Kohree led lights. They're little but bright.

• 4.  RE: Battery Powered Marquee

Posted 01-10-2018 08:53
    Hi.  
    I've used a car or garden tractor battery with strings of LED lights, a 12V power inverter, and (optionally)an in-line dimmer switch.  If you use Coroplast (the corrugated plastic used for lawn signs) as  the material to hold the lights you can easily drill holes the neck size of the bulb for spacing. X cut the material across the holes and push the bulbs through from the back. Check the temperature of the lights. My LEDs did not get warm enough to effect the Coroplast. You may want to adjust the hole size to grip the lamp holder instead of the light neck. I hope I've explained that well enough. Let me know if you have questions.  

Bob Sedoff

612-860-0538
    5508 Highland Road
    Edina, MN 

Sent from my phone

• 5.  RE: Battery Powered Marquee

Posted 01-10-2018 13:39
    I asked my TD and here is what he said  - don't know if this helps

Without knowing what the proscenium is made of or how big it is, I'm guessing it must be light enough for two people to carry and hold it up. A search on Amazon for "battery operated ball lights" cam up with some LED christmas lights that could be hot glued into the proscenium and run off of batteries. Again I don't know how big the proscenium is.

If you know someone with electrical experience you could add a dimmer so the lights could be faded up. There also might be a dimmer on these lights already.
    Depending on budget - there are ways to set up the lights to be run by DMX wirelessly so the marquee lights can be cued into the lighting board.
    For more info, this website is a great resource:

Ted Curry
    Pleasant Hill CA

• 6.  RE: Battery Powered Marquee

Posted 01-10-2018 19:54
    I suggest rope lights.  They are sturdier and will last you longer. There is also no chance of an actor getting injured or breaking a bulb by sitting on one, stepping on one, backing into one, etc. You can hang them with a staple gun. 

• 7.  RE: Battery Powered Marquee

Posted 01-11-2018 11:58
    I vote for rope lights too. We put them around our proscenium 20 years ago and they are still going strong!

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI