Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatre and Social Emotional Learning

Posted 09-16-2020 18:45
    Hello Everyone - As the new school year begins, are you thinking about the social emotional needs of you and your students? Or just struggling to get through the day?  Are you looking for ways to intentionally and mindfully integrate the arts and social emotional learning into your theatre classroom?

In May 2020, EdTA was a contributor and signatory organization to the national unified statement, Arts Education is Essential. This document acknowledges that "teaching and learning will never quite be the same in our post-COVID-19 world. However, our commitment to provide rich and varied educational experiences remains unwavering. The arts have played an important role in these tumultuous times and will continue to do so for all students, including the traditionally underrepresented, those with special needs, and from low-income families. Here's why: Arts education supports the social and emotional well-being of students, whether through distance learning or in person." 
    If like many, you may either agree with this statement and are struggling to imagine what intentional arts and SEL instruction looks like - or conversely are finding success integrating social emotional learning in the theatre classroom, please consider joining the State Education Agency Directors of Arts Education (SEADAE) for a Virtual Summit: The Arts & SEL: A Synergistic Pairing, September 25, 2020 from 1-5 PM, followed by an "Open Forum" and reception.

This virtual half-day event, open to all - is sponsored in part by the National Endowment for the Arts. During the Summit we will explore the synergistic relationships between the arts and Social Emotional Learning (SEL). Join us for stimulating breakout sessions, engaging presentations from arts education leaders, immersive experiences delivered by teaching artists that embody the arts and social emotional learning, and attend a post-conference reception/Open Forum for networking and deep dives with the presenters and
    colleagues from across the country.

As artists and educators, we believe in the power of the arts to communicate and recognize the ways in which engagement with the arts provide students with the opportunity to become more self-aware, to practice self-management skills, to become more socially aware, more adroit at collaboration and additionally, and that engagement in the arts provides entre into culturally relevant instruction. By its very nature, active participation in the arts demands sensitivity, flexibility, and adaptability. An education in the arts nurtures these are cognitive dispositions, which are the very skills and mindsets our students need for success in a post-COVID-19 world.

Please join SEADAE on September 25 as we engage in a national dialogue around the arts and SEL while we try live in the question rather than provide all the answers. We also invite you to join us for a 'live' convening May 13-14, 2021 in Newark, Delaware. 

Due to the interactive nature of the September Summit, advanced registration is required.* For more information, go to SEADAE's website, SEADAE.org. We hope to see you there!  Please tell a friend. 

Together in education! 

Dr. Dale Schmid / SEADAE President 

------------------------------
    Dale Schmid
    SEADAE President
    Trenton NJ

• 2.  RE: Theatre and Social Emotional Learning

Posted 09-18-2020 09:08
    I am REALLY looking forward to this event, and am honored to be a part of it. Arts Educators often times need to understand how to situate themselves as "the solution" ​to protect their programs and funding. Our current reality with COVID-19 makes this even more necessary as schools make tough decisions on what programs to support and what to trim  back. The Arts and SEL are a natural combination, and the solution to what students need now- many of us are already imbedding the SEL Competencies in our work, we just don't acknowledge it! I am particularly honored to be facilitating the State Panel discussion which unveils the process of SEL state-wide initiatives from across the nation!

I hope you can join SEADAE for a introductory dive into this work! We will be extending this learning in a Face-2-Face meeting in May, and spending the next full year developing Arts and SEL toolkits and resources for teachers to implement in their instruction!

See you next Friday!
    www.seadsae.org/

Dustin Loehr
    Director of Arts Education & Title IV-A
    SEADAE Vice President
    Arizona Department of Education
    Phoenix AZ

• 3.  RE: Theatre and Social Emotional Learning

Posted 09-18-2020 10:45
    I just registered! I guess that a silver lining to Covid is that it is allowing us to "attend" trainings and symposiums that we may not have been able to attend in person.

Myndee Washington
    Music/ Drama Director
    Union Park Charter Academy
    Wesley Chapel, FL

• 4.  RE: Theatre and Social Emotional Learning

Posted 09-18-2020 12:35
    Hi Myndee, 

I am thrilled to hear that you will be joining us for SEADAE's September 25th Arts & SEL Summit!  Another "silver lining" about COVID, as my co-author Susan McGreevy-Nichols and I write about in an upcoming Special Edition of the Arts Education Policy Review, is the unprecedented way in which the entire arts community, inclusive of arts and theatre educators, arts services providers, foundations, government agencies like the NEA, and the arts and entertainment and communications industry sectors have come together to openly share intellectual property and education platforms / forums to not only help us to survive the pandemic but come of it at the other end with a reimagined educational paradigm that maximises instructional time through a focus on teaching via the artistic processes and process components of the National Core Arts Standards - that also serves the needs for the social emotional well being of teachers and students across the nation in an manner that opens the door to culturally relevant instruction in and through the arts. 

I am incredibly excited to hear from practitioners from the field during the Summit that have thought deeply about the natural connections between the arts and social emotional teaching and learning and that are implementing intentional arts and SEL integrated learning opportunities. I am equally excited to participate in some of the immersive experiences provided by our guest teaching artists that embody arts and SEL integrated learning. See you soon!

Dale Schmid
    SEADAE President
    Trenton NJ

• 5.  RE: Theatre and Social Emotional Learning

Posted 09-22-2020 13:01
    What a timely conference - especially as we move into this year!

Cory Wilkerson
    Education Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Palmyra PA

• 6.  RE: Theatre and Social Emotional Learning

Posted 09-24-2020 17:13

We are less than 24 hours out from SEADAE's Virtual Summit, The Arts & Social Emotional Learning: A Synergistic Pairing!  I am incredibly excited and deeply appreciative of the support from the national experts and teaching artists that will be joining us for this historic event. When we started this venture, only a select community was focusing attention on Social Emotional Learning. Now – the importance of SEL is being touted from nearly every sector of the education community. Nonetheless, I believe tomorrows' Summit to be the first national convening focusing solely on the intersection between the arts and social emotional learning.

If you've been thinking about attending Summit bur haven't signed up yet, you still have time to do so. Registration closes at Noon Eastern - Go to SEADAE.org for details. We anticipate this will be a fabulous opportunity not only to hear from panels of practitioners who have thought deeply about the natural connections between the arts and SEL – but a chance to learn from each other.

I am particularly excited about the immersive guided discoveries led by 10 diverse teaching artists we have hired from around the nation to provide the interactive experiences that embody arts and social emotional learning. Check out their bios on the SEADAEA site…

I am also looking forward to the Reception / Open Forum following the Summit (from 5-6PM Eastern).  SEADAE hopes you can stay for this part of the day when everyone will have the opportunity to socialize, network, and do deep dives on topics that bubbled up during the course of the Summit proceedings as we continue to learn from each other and look toward the SEADAE May 13-14 National Conference on the Arts & SEL.

Bring your beverage of choice and join the party!

Dr. Dale Schmid / SEADAE President

Dale Schmid
    SEADAE President
    Trenton NJ