Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sense & Sensibility

Posted 08-23-2017 11:27
    Greetings everyone! I hope your new school year is off to a wonderful start. I am teaching at an all girls school, so finding great material for a large female cast is always a struggle. Would always love suggestions! Thinking about doing Kate Hamill's version of Sense and Sensibility and have a few questions. How do you usually deal with accents? I feel like it is pretty inevitable that some students would be proficient in working with an accent and others would not. Would love to hear thoughts on this and ideas. It feels like it could be really distracting to have varying accents. Do you need to do the accents? Is it weird to do it without? Some have suggested doing it in a different era, like the 80s. Has anyone done this before with similar plays? How did it work out for you?
    Appreciate any insight and advice people have to offer!
    Thank you so much :)

------------------------------
    Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 2.  RE: Sense & Sensibility

Posted 08-23-2017 13:19
    I directed this show 2 years ago.  My actors learned the standard british dialect.  We made it a part of our early rehearsals.  I recommend Stage Dialects by Jerry Blunt.

Tracey Buot
    Drama Director
    Cambridge High School
    Milton, Georgia

• 3.  RE: Sense & Sensibility

Posted 08-23-2017 15:44
    Thank you! How did the show go? Did you enjoy directing it? Any tips?

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 4.  RE: Sense & Sensibility

Posted 08-23-2017 16:38
    Hi,

As most directors do, I start with a giant pile of questions: How important is dialect work to the telling of this story? Do I want dialect in order to evoke a specific time, place or character that could not be made clear through any other means? Do the jokes work just as well in my actors' natural accents, or is there something in the way the words are spoken that is baked into the text? Are the nationalities of the characters mentioned specifically many times in the text? Will the audience have a greater enjoyment of the story if the actors are using accents? Will the story be clearer to the audience if accents are used? How many students in my audition pool have the ability and extra time to do the work to speak clearly and accurately in this accent? Is the choice of accents going to pose an extra hardship on my kids who speak English as a second or third language? What about my students with regional accents? Am I comfortable spending a lot of time correcting the pronunciation of my students, and can this group understand those corrections as technical and not personal? Will doing a show in R.P. dissuade kids from auditioning or joining the theatre in the future? Will the kids end up more internally focused on the technical aspect of pronunciations in rehearsals or will they be able to focus on their scene partners and the world of the play?

I almost always ask kids to use their own beautiful accents. I have actors from all over the states and the globe, and I celebrate it. Personally, I see braver, more exciting stage choices from students who are empowered to understand that their unique qualities are important and valuable. Not everyone likes my solution, and you have to do what makes sense for your students and community. Whatever you decide, you'll make it work for yourself and your lucky students!

Meg O'Connor
    Theatre Education Artist
    oconnormainstage.com

• 5.  RE: Sense & Sensibility

Posted 08-23-2017 17:36
    Thank you so much!

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 6.  RE: Sense & Sensibility

Posted 08-24-2017 07:44
    We used Standard British accents when we did Pride and Prejudice, and we found David Allen Stern's dialect CD very helpful.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 7.  RE: Sense & Sensibility

Posted 08-24-2017 11:27
    I also make it a part of the early rehearsals and then have the kids work on the accent outside as well. I have them ask their other teachers if it would be alright for them to use the accent in the class to continue to work on it. It doubles as a easy method of getting the word out on campus as well... and some of the teachers (usually former thespians) will use the accent in class as well to help out. :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ