Open Forum

View Only

Miracle Worker Auditions--Need Your Input Please!

• 1.  Miracle Worker Auditions--Need Your Input Please!

Posted 12-08-2016 14:49

I am holding auditions for The Miracle Worker and need some effective audition activities for the character of Helen. All my actors will prepare a 2-minute monologue and do cold readings, but I'm struggling with what to do for Helen.

Many of Helen's scenes are very physical (mostly with Annie), but I am hesitant to have actors cold read those scenes because of the lack of safety. I want some sort of activity (prepared or on the spot) for the actors I callback for Helen--something that shows how they would play a blind/deaf character, interact with others/objects, etc.

I have a few rough ideas, but I am the only acting teacher at my school & would love to hear what others have done or would do when auditioning for this role.   THANK YOU! :)

------------------------------
    Susan Nieten
    Theatre Teacher
    Noblesville High School
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten

• 2.  RE: Miracle Worker Auditions--Need Your Input Please!

Posted 12-08-2016 18:50
    Helen is a challenging role and I can tell that you are very aware to treat it with care and respect for the deaf and blind communities, which is important. Helen's doll, given to her by Annie, is a significant prop as an extension of Helen. Playing with the doll would be simple yet challenging "discovery" moment for Helen to receive a gift she loves. You will be able to gauge how easy/difficult it is for the actress to maintain the engagement with the doll while demonstrating Helen's deafness and blindness. You could redirect during the audition that Helen discovers it has no eyes. Then redirect with a scene partner for Annie to take the doll and try to spell D-O-L-L into Helen's hand. You can caution that you don't want any stage combat as that will be choreographed during rehearsal. Instead, you are more interested in Helen's emotional range in struggling to relate to the world around her.

---------------------------------
    Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Roosevelt High School
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR
    ---------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Miracle Worker Auditions--Need Your Input Please!

Posted 12-09-2016 09:52

Jo, THANK YOU!  These are great suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

Susan Nieten
    Theatre Teacher
    Noblesville High School
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten

• 4.  RE: Miracle Worker Auditions--Need Your Input Please!

Posted 12-09-2016 07:46
    Hi. When I did this play, I found that I needed someone who totally respected Helen and her world. I did a lot of rehearsals where the actress was blindfolded and with head phones that muffled sound so that her movements were natural - to her - as she navigated the world as she might with these restrictions. Maybe an activity that does that? (Consider the food fight scene -- maybe have her feed herself, blindfolded?) By the way, Patty Duke's autobiography, Call Me Anna, gives lots of info about how the original rehearsed. Good luck!

• 5.  RE: Miracle Worker Auditions--Need Your Input Please!

Posted 12-09-2016 09:55

Elisabeth, these are great rehearsal ideas that could be worked into the audition process. Thank you! Also, thanks for the heads up on the autobiography. I'm ordering that today!

I welcome any more suggestions/insights. I so appreciate this forum community!

Susan Nieten
    Theatre & English Teacher
    Noblesville High School
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten

• 6.  RE: Miracle Worker Auditions--Need Your Input Please!

Posted 12-09-2016 10:59

When I directed this play I had anyone wishing to audition for Helen to develop a short pantomime instead of a monologue. You can give guideline for what you want to see.

Also, I had the entire cast do trust walks and learn the finger alphabet to share the experience.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 7.  RE: Miracle Worker Auditions--Need Your Input Please!

Posted 12-09-2016 13:19

Ellen, this is a superb idea! Thank you!  :)

Susan Nieten
    Theatre Teacher
    Noblesville High School
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten

• 8.  RE: Miracle Worker Auditions--Need Your Input Please!

Posted 12-09-2016 10:50

I used 2 iconic scenes to make the actors think and then audition: a)  Helen working around the table taking food from others plates.  This enabled me to switch in multiple characters as they thought about how Helen worked in a world without sight and sound, as well as the others at the table to interact "normally" to her.  b)  and then there's always the pump scene - the 'break' through of communication with the world for Helen, and the frustration of Annie attempting to get through and Helen's return to the family norm.

The audition lead to a teachable moment for students thinking of how to be convincing without sight or hearing.

I also would encourage you to seek out a blind person(s) to come in and talk with the cast after the roles are set.  It was great interaction, and my visitor walked the set with the students so they saw real interaction and gleaned ideas for their characters.

David Nicol
    Twin Valley Middle High School - Troupe #7111
    Whitingham, VT

• 9.  RE: Miracle Worker Auditions--Need Your Input Please!

Posted 12-09-2016 13:21

Wow, David! I love both of your ideas. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

Susan Nieten
    Theatre Teacher
    Noblesville High School
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten

• 10.  RE: Miracle Worker Auditions--Need Your Input Please!

Posted 12-09-2016 15:07

I agree with  the comments from Jo.  Find some ways that Helen and Annie can interact with the doll, the suitcase, or even trying to eat while being blind.  I directed this show two years ago and had students act out some of the less physical scenes as a cold read, but I gave directions so they did not have to be tied to the script.  

As it turned out, the girl that I cast as Helen was a hearing impaired student from our school that loved theatre. She had too have an interpreter to communicate, but did a believable job in that role.  This is a wonderful show and was very rewarding for the cast and crew.

Lex Rhoadarmer
    Drama Director
    Clearwater High School
    Clearwater KS

• 11.  RE: Miracle Worker Auditions--Need Your Input Please!

Posted 12-12-2016 08:54

Lex, thank you for sharing your insight! I appreciate it. :)

Susan Nieten
    Theatre Teacher
    Noblesville High School
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten