Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Tech Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-22-2017 10:39
    How many of you have a technical theatre teacher in your faculty?  Someone who strictly teaches all the tech production aspects.  Thanks
    In Solidarity,
    Roxy Pignanelli
    Colorado

• 2.  RE: Tech Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-22-2017 10:56
    When I started at this building 17 years ago, I was a one woman show doing a Comedy, Drama, Musical, Competition One Act and Student Directed One Acts.  (Makes me tired just thinking about it!)  
    Now I have a team that includes a Tech Director who also teaches several sections of Acting and all Stagecraft classes and a Costumer for the productions.

------------------------------
    Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Tech Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-23-2017 07:43
    Our school's programs vary by enrollment.  We used to have a class called "Stagecraft" that was taught by our drama teacher who was verse in all aspects of tech theatre.  Then, that went away for awhile.  Now, we have a class called "Technical Theatre" which is taught by one of our music department members, who is knowledgeable in that area.  The students learn lighting and sound elements and a little about scenery and set design as well.

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 4.  RE: Tech Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-23-2017 08:27
    HI, I am a technical theater teacher, and I have because of that only worked for schools with Tech Theater positions. I think it really depends on the program you have.  I think depending on why you are asking, its important, (as the person in the position) to base the job on scale of work/ number of performances you have. My first school had one and the job was building and designing shows, teaching a few basic after school type tech classes to upper and middle school, and also AV help for like every event/meeting on campus. 
    My second one was a full TD running 13 shows a year and only AV help in my spaces. Also teaching academic tech courses and after school courses. Those shows consisted of dance and theater and some music.  This school could have benefited from an Assistant TD as well.  The thing is, a place like this, without help wears a TD down fast. The pace and schedule is a lot. The TD has a hand in every show. So even if the director says their busy, and the dance teacher says their busy, put their schedules together, and you have the TDs schedule. 

That being said, my current school is more manageable with less shows a year and a slightly easier teaching schedule. But this year I am teaching Scenic Painting, stagecraft, tech theater and I am also part of the freshman intro to arts and the middle school arts rotations. Again, schedule is crucial as currently my schedule does not allow me much time to get my TD work done, so we are changing that for next year. 

Most importantly, Value the TDs time being a TD, (doing Maintenance work, building, paperwork, errands, etc) as needed time as much as teaching time if you want a good product and a not stressed TD. 

I am happy to keep talking about this. I have always wanted to create a resource for things like this for High schools because being a TD in High School is  a lot different and a whole different skill set than a professional. Many pros have a specialty like lighting, or scenic, or sound, and they can do the rest but they have a crew and staff to handle the other parts. School TDs have to know everything, including designing most of the time, also have to know everything enough to teach it safely as well!

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 5.  RE: Tech Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-23-2017 10:06
    Roxy,

I started my carer as a Tech Theatre teacher, but was also teaching the standard intro courses as well. It has been my experience that most secondary schools tend to ask all of us to wear many hats win the theatre departments. I think advocacy for the collaborative nature of our art form is difficult in some districts and schools since so many of us have had to do without a technical support person, or the technical support for the district is more of a theatre manager and not a stage technician. 

It is an interesting issue to be sure. It all depends on your school's capacity for theatrical support. I know that I have since 1999 gone from hired as a tech coordinator and theatre teacher at a private school to the sole theatre teacher at an arts charter. With many ins and outs in between, I always started as tech and grew from there. At this point, however, I have had to hire a TD for my shows so that I can actually put forward the quality of product I want the students to present and learn.

I don't know if this answers your questions, but I hope it sheds a bit of light on the subject.

Yours in Art,

Jason

Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 6.  RE: Tech Theatre Teacher

Posted 02-23-2017 18:33

According to the Department of Labor and Industries, everyone should have a certified tech theatre teacher (with a CTE endorsement on their teaching certificate – not just someone who is ‘knowledgable’, as Amber mentions about her department’s music teacher – which is the norm I’m afraid). No minor should be performing the activities that we all have them do in the theatre without being in a bona fide vocational program. But, as several people have already commented, it’s more common for the Drama teacher to wear all of the hats – the majority of people in my online course in high school theatre management are in that boat.  For this reason, I also want to keep the conversation going about this issue, like Dan. You’re quite right, a high school theatre manager needs to have a combination of knowledge about three aspects: tech theatre, management and education. And, it’s not only important to talk about these issues between ourselves, but also to make our admins aware of what goes on ‘behind the scenes’.

One of the problems - besides the legalities of a Drama teacher who is not CTE certified allowing students to run a fly system, be up in the catwalks, build sets and costumes, etc – is that it is unreasonable to expect one person to do all the work of teaching performance, teaching tech theatre, and in many cases, running your theatre as a ‘roadhouse’. Even if you don’t rent out to outside events, your theatre is essentially a ‘roadhouse’ if you host the school play, musical, choir concerts, band/orchestra concerts, the school variety show, parent meetings, student meetings and classes, the list goes on. Someone – a separate someone – needs to be managing all that (scheduling, paper work, production meetings, etc). And, while that manager must have a tech theatre background in order to make the decisions they need to make, as Jason mentioned that manager person is not the same as the technicians who are working the events and mentoring the students in each aspect of tech theatre – and realistically can’t be the same person who is a CTE certificated teacher teaching tech theatre to the students and providing the design and building for the Drama department’s plays.

Staffing is a huge issue in many high school theatres in this country, and it’s very frustrating when several times a month another e-mail comes into your inbox saying there’s an opening for yet another sports specialty coach (lately it’s been the pole vault coach, the running coach, the jumping coach, the throwing coach – all earning a $3000 stipend for their few weeks of work with a few select students). What about the lighting coach, the set building coach, the costume design coach, the sound coach, the construction coach….? Amy talks about a “team”, and that is what we, collectively, need to be aiming for. In my book – see my signature line below – I present an “ideal” staffing model for a high school theatre. One person doing it all not only causes stress and burn out for that one person, but safety and vocational education are jeopardized.

Roxy, I see you are located in Colorado. Do you know about CATTE (.org – Colorado Alliance of Technical Theatre Educators)? If you aren’t already a member, I would urge you to contact them. One of the ‘Gold Standard Schools” that I feature on my website (http://www.presett.org/gold-standard-schools.html) is actually a CATTE member in the Boulder area. You can also find out about the Colorado CTE Standards at https://www.cde.state.co.us/contentareas/careerandtechnicaled.

Beth Rand
    Author of "High School Theatre Operations"
    High School Theatre Management Coach - next HS Theatre Management Training course starts March 27
    PRESETT, a service of RCDTheatreOps
    www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA