Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Public Speaking

Posted 06-13-2017 18:09
    I am excited to be teaching a semester-long Public Speaking class next year, and am looking for suggestions as I put the curriculum together over the summer. I've taught similar classes in the past, but am open to new ideas for resources, exercises, or assessments!  Aside from the basics of organized content, vocal projection/diction, and so on, what are the "musts" I should be including for contemporary high school students?  I plan to cover effective use of Keynote and/or Power Point presentations, and may even try to have students create a mini "TED talk" if time permits.

My thanks in advance for any and all suggestions - and best wishes for a great end of the year and a happy summer!

------------------------------
    Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    Morristown, NJ

• 2.  RE: Public Speaking

Posted 06-13-2017 20:40
    Susan,
    I'm the Speech teacher (actually English but licensed for Speech too) at my high school. I actually teach a dual enrollment course through Indiana University. It seems every year they are changing the curriculum based on what they see is needed in public speaking in the work and career areas. This year's curriculum was built on the theme of "it's not about you" and dealt with speeches that encouraged students to look at other perspectives. There are only 3 major speeches required so you have time to add in any others you wish. The first is a perspectives speech where students research multiple ways of looking at/considering an important social issue. The second is what they call an invitational speech. It's purpose is to start pulling people toward a certain perspective but not quite persuading them. This was by far the most difficult for my students but probably the most valuable as far as usefulness in life. The last one is the persuasive speech. All are based on social issues that are relevant to the audience of the classroom.

Other speeches I throw in are demonstration speeches, impromptu, and epideictic speeches (eulogies, wedding toasts, award acceptances, etc.) This last group I try to make more fun. For instance I have them write a eulogy for an inanimate object (i.e. cell phone, computer, car) or a fictitious character. I avoid real people so students don't find themselves emotionally overwhelmed, even though they think they can handle it. But it could be done that way. I make up scenarios about weddings, awards, toasts and other events for them to use.

I'd be glad to share any of my materials with you if you wish. Contact me through my email ellenaugustine288@gmail.com if interested.

Ellen Augustine
    Language Arts Instructor/Theater Director
    Goshen IN

• 3.  RE: Public Speaking

Posted 06-14-2017 08:06
    Hi Susan -

I've taught public speaking and communication skills for fifteen years, and I added something about four years ago that has dramatically improved the progress my students have made.  Toward the end of the semester, I have them all do an evening of speeches (time limit 3:00), and we invite parents, etc.  It's fairly easy for them to do a mediocre speech in front of their peers, but they really up their game when they know they'll be doing it for parents.  I have the date and time in my syllabus, and I schedule it on a Monday to minimize interference with sports.  It's made a huge difference!

Allan

--
    Allan Dodson
    Fine Arts Department
    Blessed Trinity High School

• 4.  RE: Public Speaking

Posted 06-15-2017 01:14
    I taught a required semester Communications class for 35 years. (I just retired!). I had rubrics for all of the speeches, which I shared with the kids before each speech. 
    I think the most valuable thing I did was teach the students how to interview. I had each student come to the front of the room, pretending to interview with me. They chose a job and business that could employee an 18 year old. We practiced how to answer the questions. Everyone was so nervous.  Many of the students returned to tell me they think of that lesson every time they interview. (1 week total)

I also had balloon debates. Fun, and gave students with personalities or reasoning skills a chance to shine. Email me if you want details: sledford@eawr.org

Susan Ledford
    Troupe Director
    Maryville IL

• 5.  RE: Public Speaking

Posted 06-15-2017 15:12
    Hi, Susan. 

I'm piggy backing off of the interview idea. I arranged mock college interviews with surprise faculty and admin interviewers. I gave the teachers and staff questions to pick from but encouraged them to add their own. The student had to dress the part and did not know who they were interviewing with until the moment before. The interviews were held in a location chosen by the interviewer. Let me know if you'd like more details. 

Taylor

Taylor Horne
    Upper School Theatre Director
    Jacksonville FL

• 6.  RE: Public Speaking

Posted 06-19-2017 18:59
    Balloon debates????? Can you explain further please?

Ellen

Ellen Augustine
    Language Arts Instructor/Theater Director
    Goshen IN