Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Basic tech mentor needed in Cincinnati Area

Posted 05-29-2018 14:54
    Each year I direct an MTI KIDS show in an elementary cafeteria and a MTI Jr. show in a Performing Arts Center.  I am now ready to leave behind my CD player and advance into the modern age.  However, I need some guidance (and in person would be best) because my knowledge is very limited. 
    I think I need to buy a new device (laptop, iPad, etc) onto which I can load the CD that comes with the showkit.  I think I need to buy a bluetooth speaker to run rehearsals through my iPhone so I don't have to have my larger device with me at early rehearsals.  I need a compatible computer program to take out between track pauses and add loops of music to cover scene changes.  I will also need to know what cords I will need to link all of this to the 2 different sound systems at the schools.
    The school has a tech person (computers not theater), so we don't talk the same language. 
    I really appreciate any advice you could give so that I get what I need but don't overspend.

------------------------------
    Janet Cain
    Cincinnati OH

• 2.  RE: Basic tech mentor needed in Cincinnati Area

Posted 05-30-2018 00:20

I'm far from Cincinnati, but here's a little bit of advice, based on what has worked for us.

We use an iPad with Go Button from QLab for playback.  This has adjustment features for changing things that you mentioned.

To get the music off the CD and onto the iPad, you'll need to download it to a computer and then sync it to the iPad, or import it from a file sharing platform.  Once the iPad has the music downloaded on it, it can be used in Go Button.

In terms of rehearsal playback you have options.  Bluetooth speakers work, though the volume may not be high enough for your space or group.  If it isn't, you may try one of the following:

-If the rehearsal space is different than the production space, and doesn't have playback already, a larger portable PA would be easy to use, as it can move around, and often incorporate additional speakers if need be.  Check to see what you may be purchasing, but likely it will have both bluetooth and an aux cord option.

-If you have an existing sound system, here's a longer, more specialized playback that's all wired: you can play music from your phone, through an aux cord (1/8" to 1/8" or 1/8" to dual 1/4", which is what I use), into a DI Box (this is the kind I use, and here's a link to buy it on Amazon), to an XLR (3-pin) mic cable (or two if you want a stereo signal), into the closest mic inputs.  Then you can set the volume on your main console, and do small adjustments on your phone.  The DI Box is great for multiple playback inputs (1/8", RCA, or 1/4"), and this can be useful if you want to playback from a different place than your sound board.  I use this for guest groups all the time, as they often want to control playback from a device from stage, or mid-house, when I have the board in the sound booth.  It's reliable, and a workhorse of our theatre.

-If you have an existing sound system, but no headphone jack, or just prefer wireless, here's a shorter, less specialized playback that's partly wireless:  I recommend a bluetooth receiver (this is the one I purchased for this sort of thing).  Mine works farther than advertised, when there's no obstructions between my phone and the receiver.  It gets plugged into an aux cord (1/8" to dual 1/4"), straight into the sound board, and then I can control the audio from my phone while still walking around the auditorium.  I generally use this set up during more casual set ups, like playing music during a work party, or testing audio (since my phone doesn't have a headphone jack).

-These can also be used in tandem, using the whole wired system, plugged into the bluetooth receiver, instead of your phone.  That may work better if there are lots of obstructions between the board and your phone, making the bluetooth receiver less useful that far away.

These options also work for the iPad.  Feel free to ask clarifying questions, and I'm open to talking to you if you need more information about different aspects of any of this.

Sydney Thiessen
    Fine & Performing Arts Coordinator and Technical Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR