Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cutting Shakespeare

Posted 05-03-2018 13:57
    Has anyone every tried to cut a show like Romeo and Juliet down for a 45 minute play competition?  I have a 55-60 minutes cutting that is pretty good but want to shave it down and use it for competition.  I might be crazy but I really want to do it.

------------------------------
    Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 2.  RE: Cutting Shakespeare

Posted 05-03-2018 14:11
    Didn't cut it myself, but I participated in a 30-minute cutting of Macbeth, with five actors playing Mac, Lady Mac, Banquo, and two witches. Sounds crazy, but it worked. If you're interested, I might have the script tucked into an old binder and can hunt it up.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Cutting Shakespeare

Posted 05-03-2018 14:16
    Thanks.  I appreciate the offer.  We did Macbeth recently so I'm looking at other options.

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 4.  RE: Cutting Shakespeare

Posted 05-04-2018 09:02
    I've done several competition cuttings of Shakespeare over the years.  ROMEO AND JULIET and MIDSUMMER twice, RICHARD III,  MERCHANT OF VENICE just did HAMLET this year.  All of them took top honors at the state finals.  I've attached 2 cuttings of R and J--an earlier one that is around 45 min. and a later shorter cutting we did before our first competition.  Hope they help :)

Ron Parker
    Theatre Educator
    Appleton North High School
    Renaissance School for the Arts
    Appleton WI

• 5.  RE: Cutting Shakespeare

Posted 05-04-2018 06:43
    I have done it (I just did a cut As you Like it and am rehearsing a similar length Tempest. I think it is very doable for R&J. Is there specific advice you are looking for? 

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 6.  RE: Cutting Shakespeare

Posted 05-04-2018 08:39
    It is totally possible! I have done a 30-minute cut, but it has been sucked into the black hole of my hard drive. I do remember the chorus taking a more active role in moving the story along and using ensemble movement throughout to create flow. 
    I would bring your longer cutting into rehearsal and make cuts once you have had a read-through, or even ask the students what they think is superfluous.  I would be happy to take a look at what you have and give some feedback.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 7.  RE: Cutting Shakespeare

Posted 05-04-2018 14:00
    Go for it!!  I once did Pyramus and Thisbe from Midsummer Night's Dream and had a great time!  I haven't cut down a Shakespearean tragedy, but I did cut down Les MiserablesQuilters, and Twelve Angry Jurors for <g class="gr_ gr_731 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="731" data-gr-id="731">one act</g> competition, and they were great!!  The licensing agencies were quite accommodating when I asked, as well.  I felt really good about giving the students a solid piece to work with, even if the plot goes by lightning fast!

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS