Open Forum

View Only

Musicals for lots of women

• 1.  Musicals for lots of women

Posted 02-27-2017 09:41
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm always looking for suggestions. I'm looking ahead to my musical next year, and I need something unique, challenging, and with multiple opportunities for women. I'm also willing to cross-gender cast IF it makes sense for the show. I'm not really into the Rogers & Hammerstein classics for my program, and a lot of the common suggestions (Thoroughly Modern Millie, Legally Blonde, 9 to 5) have been done around here recently. I will have some guys who can sing well, but I'm getting some really quality female singers next year. Also some dancers, so a dancey show is a possibility. In the past I've done Urinetown, Kiss Me, Kate, Pippin, The Mystery of Edwin Drood (with lots of girls playing pants roles). Some things that have cropped up in searches are Jane EyreThe Little Princess, and the 2012 re-write of Working, so if you have experience with any of those and want to weigh in, that would be great! But other suggestions are VERY welcome! Thank you!

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 02-27-2017 10:02
    I really love Jane Eyre. Be careful though. If you don't have an orchestra finding the tracks can be difficult. I know ROCS had it last year (I was looking at it). I'd also recommend a show like Little Women and possibly The Little Mermaid. If you have a fly system something like Peter Pan would work as well. We also had a lot of fun doing Aida. You need a strong handful of boys to balance it but there are 2 female leads and a featured female part as well. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 02-28-2017 09:24
    I always recommend CABARET for a program with lots of girls. The ensemble is all female, and the roles of Sally and Fraulein Schneider are fantastic singing roles for young women. Of course, the Emcee carries the show, but I've seen that done effectively by an actress in a "pants role." Herr Schultz is a strong singing role for a boy, but he can act his way through the big duet. Other than that, you'll only need boys to play Cliff and Ernst, neither of whom sings much at all, plus a few ensemble roles.
    And at Tams, we keep hearing from directors around the country that the themes of CABARET are more relevant today than ever. Check it out.
    Other thoughts: GYPSY, SWEET CHARITY, MAME. Happy hunting!

Jim Colleran
    Tams-Witmark
    New York, NY
    www.tamswitmark.com

• 4.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 02-28-2017 12:32
    I'd check out Quilters, by Molly Newman and Barbara Demashek. It had a bunch of regional productions and a short Broadway run in the '80s. It also played on the mainstage at Muncie and was a big hit. I remember it as being quite moving. Stories of pioneer women, each story represented by a block on a quilt.

Stephen Gregg
    Playwright
    Venice CA

• 5.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 03-01-2017 13:26
    If you look at Quilters, the music is great!  but a bit difficult, 7 part harmonies, etc.  The quilts can be daunting so you can reach out to your quilting community, or I have a set of quilts for the show (including an oversized finished quilt that reads well from stage) that you could rent. 

That being said, Quilters is one of my all time favorite small musicals. It's written for seven women, but many more can be added.  I've also seen it done with a chorus.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 6.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 03-01-2017 07:07
    Bring It On has SO many girls. The guys parts aren't demanding with singing. They mostly have to know how to speak in rhythm but it's not too difficult. My kids are loving it. 

Once Upon a Mattress and Little Mermaid have room
    for many women to play traditionally male roles. Xanadu is also heavily female.

Brooke Jackson

• 7.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 03-01-2017 08:07
    I work at an all-girls high school so I go through this process every new academic year. I can tell you that many of the strong-female character shows were not as successful as my gender-bender shows. One of my most successful, was "Oliver!" Although there are really only two featured female characters, the male characters were fun to play. "Happy Days" was another fun one and last year we did, "Nice Work If You Can Get It."

Good Luck!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 8.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 03-01-2017 13:49
    A few other shows to consider, each with some dozen female roles, are:

First Impressions, a musical adaptation of “Pride and Prejudice.”

The Happy Time, a Kander and Ebb musical about a celebrity who returns home.

The High Life, a Dietz and Schwartz musical from a Schnitzler play.

Smile, a Marvin Hamlisch and Howard Ashman show about a beauty pageant.

Steel Pier, another Kander and Ebb musical about a dance marathon.

The Utter Glory of Morrissey Hall, musical by “Charlie Brown” writer Clark Gesner set in a girls school.

Gregory Bossler
    Director of Publications
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 9.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 08-05-2017 12:21
    Someone posted on this link about "First Date" the adaptation of Jane Austin's work and called it "First Impressions."  I love the musical.  If you did it- how did you handle the songs "We Just Made Love" and "We're Just Friends?"
    If I could get around those songs with some editing- I would do this show in a heart beat.

Adam Slee
    Ogden UT

• 10.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 08-04-2017 23:25
    If you have 30 students with a third of them being guys who can sing, I'm not certain why you are limiting your inquiry to "musicals for lots of women". I understand you want to have significant roles for your girls, but I you certainly have options. I do like A Little Princess but I never do it because it doesn't have enough roles for the boys I have, or to attract new boys to my program. Have you considered Carousel. It has several strong parts for girls, and substantial roles for boys, too. My dream is to direct this show one day, but certainly not at my Middle School. I don't know what shows you've already done, but Bye Bye Birdie is also one meets your criteria.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 11.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 08-06-2017 14:32
    I suspect you've already considered the following, but just putting my two cents in:

Annie - Super family friendly and so many rewarding parts for ladies. Annie, Ms. Hannigan, Grace, and Rooster's girlfriend Lily all have some meaty stuff and their own opportunity to sing in the spotlight. Plus plenty of ensemble opportunities for girls in the orphanage, the hooverville, the servants at Warbuck's mansion, and the trio of Andrews Sisters-knock offs who help sing "Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile".

Chicago - Sam French is reportedly releasing a HS version of this in 2018. You've got Velma, Roxie, Mamma, and Mary Sunshine. There's the other 5 murderesses who get solos in the "Cell Block Tango." Plus tons of ensemble opportunity as background prisoners, journalists, photographers, etc.

Little Shop of Horrors - You'd have to ask MTI, but I've heard of people splitting the three chorus girls/street urchins so that 3 girls play the chorus girls and 3 other girls play the street urchins. I have also heard of people having more than 3 girls. But that aside, you have Audrey and the 3 chorus girls for sure, and the plant is a plant - it doesn't necessarily need a gender. If you have a girl with a deep alto, soulful voice  who can hit the notes, you could cast the plant female. More limited ensemble stuff though.

Grease - You have the Pink ladies (4) and Sandy, plus Cha-Cha and Patty, the principal and secretary all have nice moments in the spotlight. Plenty of ensemble stuff for ladies, especially for the prom.

The Wizard of Oz - The Scarecrow, and lion could easily be female, and you could play the Tinman as a pants role (he's the only one with "man" in his darn name). You have Dorothy, the Wicked Witch, and Glinda. Ensemble stuff for munchkins, flying monkeys, and emerald city citizens.

Guys and Dolls - Sarah and Adelaide and General Cartwright all have dialogue. But tons of ensemble stuff for ladies as Hot Box Dancers, Cuban dancers in Havana, and Save a Soul Missionaries. You could also have your altos play pants gangsters.

Cinderella - Cindy herself, godmother, evil stepmom,  and the two evil stepsisters all have some nice meaty stuff. Ensemble opportunities for townspeople and royal ball attendees.

Fiddler on the Roof - Golde, Hodel, and Tzeitel have meaty acting and singing parts, Yente is a great character actor part with very limited singing (talk singing really), and Chavela doesn't sing but has meaty acting and a ballet/dance solo during "Little Bird, Little Chevela. Plenty of ensemble opportunities too.

42nd St - If you have strong dancers and a great choregrapher, this show has great parts for ladies. Peggy, Dorothy, Maggie, Anytime Annie, Phyllis, Lorraine, and Gladys all have lead and supporting parts. You will ned a large ensemble of ladies who can really hoof it.

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 12.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 08-11-2017 09:38
    Music Man is great when you have lots of women to cast.  You just need a strong Harold, Mayor Shinn and a younger boy to play Winthrop. Great dance opportunities as well in the Shipoopi and the Library scene.

Stephanie Vitulli
    Middle School Theater Director
    Highlands Ranch CO

• 13.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 08-11-2017 21:45
    Seussical is lots of fun, has some great technical possibilities, and perfect for cross-gender casting. Jojo and the Cat can be whatever gender as can most of the ensemble. Lots of roles written for women, too, but only a couple (Horton for e.g.) obviously male.

Good luck with your search for a show!

Bill Jacobsen
    Drama Teacher / Curriculum Coordinator

• 14.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 08-16-2017 22:09
    Please consider "70 Girls, 70"

Stan Gibbs
    Parma Western High School

• 15.  RE: Musicals for lots of women

Posted 08-17-2017 03:29
    I would suggest sugar based on the movie some like it hot starring Marilyn Monroe

Michael Cantrell
    CEO
    Paradise Artists Agency
    Bowling Green KY