Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sticky Cubes

Posted 02-11-2018 07:20

I know you've all seen the SNL sketches about high school theatre and the use of black cubes. Yeah, I love those boxes and use them a lot! What I can't figure out what to do is how to reduce the stickiness they have when stacked, especially during a show in which they move from scene to scene. Any ideas? Is it the paint (I use a primer + paint flat interior latex)? I have also noticed that this happens with platforms.

Timothy W. Brown, M.Ed.
    Certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
    Travelers Rest High School
    301 North Main Street
    Travelers Rest, SC 29690

One Community – Cultivating Minds – Expanding Possibilities

• 2.  RE: Sticky Cubes

Posted 02-12-2018 18:26
    There aren't really any great cures for that.  I sometimes buy theatrical clear coat and mix it in my paint or mix with water and do a coat over once the paint dries.  You can get different sheens so it doesn't have to be shiny.

------------------------------
    Joel King
    Atlanta GA
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Sticky Cubes

Posted 02-13-2018 08:58
    What I’ve heard (and found with a quick Google search) is: “The problem is known as blocking, and can be caused by many factors such as applying an overly thick layer of paint, not allowing adequate drying between coats, reactions between the primer and the finish coat or the temperature at which the paint was applied... too hot or cold.” It’s like the latex paint never fully dries, hence the stickiness. The permanent solution seems to be sanding the paint off and starting over.

---------------------------------
    Jenner Veitch
    Theatre Teacher

San Diego CA
    ---------------------------------