Open Forum

View Only

Organizing your costume shop

• 1.  Organizing your costume shop

Posted 02-27-2018 12:35
    I need help!! My costume shop is a MESS. The kids call it Narnia because everything gets lost in there. We're in the process of "#narniapurge2k18" and I was wondering how you keep your costume shops organized. In particular, how do you keep your shoes, hats, scarves, etc. from becoming a monster than engulfs every available area? I've tried those big plastic buckets, but they're still just so unorganized.

Teach me your secrets!

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 2.  RE: Organizing your costume shop

Posted 02-27-2018 12:42
    Shelves!

You can also buy those "shoe cubby" units at a pretty reasonable cost, or ask your tech-savvy theatre kids to build you some.

Discard the pieces that haven't been worn in five years, unless you know of specific shows/time periods in which they can be used.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Organizing your costume shop

Posted 02-28-2018 06:56
    Our collection may not be as extensive as yours, so my advice may not be helpful, but along one full wall in a classroom, we have two heights of clothing racks (the technical theatre class just made wooden supports and beams to hang items from) arranged by men's and women's and then clothing type (dresses, skirts, pants, blouses, etc.). That way, if I'm looking for a specific item, I know which section to browse through without having to look through every piece. I usually keep every item because we'll inevitably use it again at some point, but items that are in bad shape get the boot each year. For our shoes, we use the plastic tubs, but the shoes are also separated by men's and women's. You could separate them further by era or type if that's helpful. After each show, our costume crew goes through the buckets and gets rid of any shoes that don't have matches or shoes that are in disrepair. They place them back in the tub as a set. Inevitably, each show leads to disorganization, but part of strike is to reorganize. Our hats are also in tubs labeled men's and women's and neutral. A separate tub for wigs, a separate tub for accessories, etc. When we're in the middle of a production, a portable clothing rack holds all the costume items we plan on using to keep them separate from the collection. 

Ideally, we'd like to use shelving, but if you have as many shoes and hats as we do, there isn't enough space to do that. Also, I find that if items are left "on display," students are more likely to play with them. The tubs aren't perfect, but if it's out of sight, it's usually out of mind. The key to our organization is requiring reorganization during strike. Assign students to the costume crew and make it part of their job!

Maralie Medlin
    Theatre Arts Educator
    Gastonia, NC

• 4.  RE: Organizing your costume shop

Posted 02-28-2018 07:55
    We were in much the same boat until recently and I can say--- build racks, racks and more racks.  They can be made out of 1/2 ply and can be pretty simple 5 sided box with a rod.  Then we started on banker boxes and banker boxes and banker boxes-- great way to organize.  Lastly, throw, throw, throw-- give away, give away.  And to bring the team home, we started photographing each costume, putting a label on the left sleeve with the photo and a description-- organized by period and color and boy oh boy.  But, yea, it was a lot of work, but we just did it in class when someone had some free time and I had a couple of costume organizing assignments-- like making the labels and taking the photos.  I think it is important for students to see what goes into stuff.  And the group assignments gave them a feel for what that job might be like some days.

Costume Storage
    Best

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: Organizing your costume shop

Posted 02-28-2018 07:49

​Tubs with lids!  The largest ones from any box stores.  As above stated, separate by gender, then by shoe type.  LABEL EVERYTHING! Lids are essential.  Keeps the dust off and the nosy fingers out.

We also use copy paper boxes.  As a school, we have access to tons of those.  Sort by type, then LABEL!  Pants, shirts, bloomers, overalls, flannels, all of these store well in boxes.

Then, we are fortunate to have a ton of storage space.  We have medieval costumes in one section, period dresses in another, etc.  We have two huge closets.  We also have smaller tubs with bow-ties, suspenders, berets, bows, supplies, etc.  LIDS AND LABELS!

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 6.  RE: Organizing your costume shop

Posted 02-28-2018 10:25
    ​I have huge heavy-duty metal shelves that the district provided. They are, however, not good for storing shoes. I went on a shoebox campaign, asked the school to bring boxes when they get new shoes. I put a picture of the shoe on the end of the box with the size and time period. They are now stacked neatly by size on the large shelves, easily accessible, and I keep an empty to slip in as a place holder. I find paper boxes work better than bins, because they stack easier and aren't so heavy when they are full. Light boxes (hats) on the top shelves, heavy (draperies) on the bottom. Everything is clearly marked, and woe betide the student that puts something away in the wrong box. It's working so far.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 7.  RE: Organizing your costume shop

Posted 02-28-2018 12:53
    SHOES:  We have shelves and tubs.  We use tubs for shoes that we have a lot of - there's a tub of keds, a tub of character shoes, a tub of ballet and jazz shoes.  The rest are on shoe shelves.  The tubs are labeled and stacked against a wall.  Shoes in tubs are rubber-banded together in pairs, so that if you need a pair of size 8 character shoes, it's easy to find the full pair instead of digging for two that match.

SCARVES/TIES:  Right now we have special hangers for them...and it's not working.  They end up on the floor all the time.  We're in the process of revamping that idea.  We'll probably go with tubs or drawers for those as well.

COSTUMES:  We have a beautiful hanging system, but currently we have too much stuff.  We are in the process of moving things we have a lot of to tubs.  For instance, we have a tub of pirate/renaissance shirts, labeled and stacked, because we have so many of them that they were taking up a ton of room.  Same with rehearsal skirts, basic slacks, overalls, pajamas...the list goes on.  That leaves blouses, coats/suits, skirts and dresses to hang.  Our problem was that we had so much hanging and it was so crammed that it was hard to find anything and things were constantly falling on the floor.

STORAGE:  We have shelving above our hanging storage that we use to store wigs and fabric.  We also have cupboards that we use to store smaller items, such as tights, gloves, etc.  Hats have their own cupboard.

I'll try to remember to take photos today.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 8.  RE: Organizing your costume shop

Posted 03-01-2018 07:38
    Thank you all so much!!! It looks like I'm going to invest in some more tubs and perhaps a few set of drawers. I appreciate all of your input!

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 9.  RE: Organizing your costume shop

Posted 03-01-2018 08:13
    We have a couple of old tall filing cabinets.  We have the drawers labeled for things like gloves, scarves, "animal parts" (meaning the mittens, tails, heads, ears, etc), belts, ties.  They are easily accessible for those little items that it seems we always need at the last minute.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 10.  RE: Organizing your costume shop

Posted 04-17-2018 13:38
    I'm at it again!

How do you organize your racks? I have 10 available costume racks (heavy duty, on wheels) and I'd like to reorganize them. I have to have at least 1 whole rack for prom dresses (we do rentals), but I'm not sure what to do with the others. Here's my idea. Any suggestions?

Rack A - Women's Modern Shirts & Jackets
    Rack B - Women's Modern Pants & Skirts
    Rack C - Women's Period Costumes before 1900
    Rack D - Women's Period Costumes 1900-2000
    Rack E - Women's Modern Dresses
    Rack F - Men's Modern Shirts, Jackets & Full Suits
    Rack G - Men's Modern Bottoms
    Rack H - Men's Period Clothing
    Rack I - Misc.
    Rack J - Prom Dresses & Frequent Rentals

How do you organize your racks?

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 11.  RE: Organizing your costume shop

Posted 04-18-2018 22:03
    We did our mostly by color separated by gender.  We use tags with a photo on the left sleeve, so it's easy to put a description on there with period or cut/style, etc-- and we use separate racks for Men's and Women's and Pants/Slacks, Shirts/Blouses, etc.

I'm not sure it matters how it is organized as long as it works for you.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC