Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  New flooring for multipurpose space

Posted 08-18-2018 15:09
    Our school has a large multipurpose space that acts as a meeting room, classroom, rehearsal space, dinner theatre room, black box theater, etc. it even has a small kitchen area on one end. It has a grid and small crow's nest for when the space is used as a black box or for meetings. 

The room is probably about 70' long, 30' wide with a 16' ceiling. It's currently carpeted over a concrete slab. We would like to explore our options for making the flooring better for our theatre and dance programs. I know we could look at true dance flooring but feel that might be too pricey. Any thoughts on using masonite or hardboard over the carpet or some other subflooring that would have a little spring in it so the dancers could use the space without fear of injury? Any ideas at this point would be helpful. We're also concerned about what a new floor is going to do to the sound level in the room. 

Thank you,

------------------------------
    Danny Hobson
    Theatre Instructor/Program Director
    Alma High School
    Alma, Arkansas
    dhobson@almasd.net

• 2.  RE: New flooring for multipurpose space

Posted 08-20-2018 13:03
    ​Good morning,

A Marley dance floor may be pricey but it tends to hold up really well. That said, I'm a big fan of Masonite. We have a traditional theatre but I like putting down Masonite so that I can paint the floor. IT too holds up really well.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 3.  RE: New flooring for multipurpose space

Posted 08-20-2018 20:51

1.  'Masonite' doesn't exist anymore (see other threads about stage floors).  The use of high density MDF (not your typical lumber yard variety) still won't work well applied directly to the concrete floor or over the carpet.  Installing it directly to the concrete floor provides NO shock cushioning for dance and acting -- this can result in joint injuries and other problems.  Installing it over the carpet will result in shear offsets at the joints between panels, which creates trip hazards.  The shock absorption of the carpet layer isn't very good either.

Consider a floor construction that has shock absorbing layer with a multi-layer stage floor over it.  This will be several inches thick.  For ADA wheelchair access, you will need to ramp-up to the new floor from the entrance hallway level.  The ramp length is 12" (1 foot) for every 1 inch of elevation change, so this means you will have a ramp about 2-4 feet long depending upon your construction.  {Insert shameless plug for floor consulting here - coming to visit you is easy as I get up that way frequently}

2. The use of 'Marley' (vinyl dance floor sheeting) directly on the concrete provides a good surface traction-wise, but it provides no shock absorption for dance and acting.  Installing a (removable) layer of vinyl dance floor over a stage floor tends to make it better for dance (and covers-up the blemished in the day-to-day stage floor).

Vinyl dance floor over carpet does not work.

3.  Don't paint your stage floor.  Use a stage floor canvas or muslin drop and apply your scenic texture to that.  This saves a fortune on time and money repainting the stage floor.  A good quality 2-part epoxy black floor paint will last for years if you keep people from painting it.  Just damp-mop it to keep it clean and sanitary (yes, dancers and actors sweat and bleed on floors!).

BTW:  I've seen your magnificent theatre . . . you are blessed to have such a great program.  You should write and article about how your program and venue is funded as inspiration for all!

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems