Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Getting ready for fall

Posted 02-07-2018 16:32
    With the spring musical underway, it is time to start thinking about fall. I'm curious to get some thoughts and ideas from the group about their experiences with specific versions/adaptations of the following, please:

Cyrano de Bergerac
    fairy tale adaptations (that are tame enough for younger students, but still interesting to high school actors)
    Greek drama
    Anything a bit on the fringe of the "typical" high school fare

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Jim DeVivo, Ph.D.
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Lacey Township High School
    Lanoka Harbor NJ

• 2.  RE: Getting ready for fall

Posted 02-08-2018 06:35
    If you're open to Greek comedy, I'd recommend Aristophanes' critically underperformed Thesmophoriazusae about a man spying at an all-women's festival (who's terrified of being discovered and murdered by the insulted tribe of women). Obviously, it pairs really well with Euripides' tragedy The Bacchae, another favorite of mine.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 3.  RE: Getting ready for fall

Posted 02-09-2018 10:59
    This Spring in NJ, Pingry is doing Cyrano De Burger Shack, a Pioneer Version of the old classic. I'm going to see it to determine if I can can put it on my list.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Getting ready for fall

Posted 02-08-2018 09:29
    Anne Carson's new translation of Antigone is very, very accessible.

--
    Hope Hynes Love
    Theater Teacher
    East Chapel Hill High School
    500 Weaver Dairy Road
    Chapel Hill, NC 27514
    work-919-969-2482 x 27500 (before 1:00 p.m)
    fax-919-969-2491
    cell-919-308-3133 (after 1:00 p.m.)

"I've done some research and reality is the leading cause of stress among those in touch with it.  I can take it in small doses, but as a lifestyle, I find it way too confining."  Jane Wagner, Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe

All mail correspondence to and from the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.

• 5.  RE: Getting ready for fall

Posted 02-08-2018 09:36
    I absolutely LOVE “Law and Order: Fairy Tale Unit.” It’s exactly what it sounds like. Lots of great laughs, a few really bad puns. Smiles abound. Did this in classroom readings with both middle schoolers and high schoolers.

• 6.  RE: Getting ready for fall

Posted 02-08-2018 09:41
    A great adaptation of a Greek comedy is Don Zolidis' The Birds. We sold out!!

Also good for "edgy" is Qui Nguyen's She Kills Monsters. I'd recommend the "adult" version and ask to change the swearing, lot of F bombs. I like the "adult" version better than the "Young Explorers" version. You'll need a good fight director but totally worth it. My students loved it and I want to do it again.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 7.  RE: Getting ready for fall

Posted 02-08-2018 12:20
    We started doing a brand new musical ... Tails of Hamelin ....adapted from the Pied Piper of Hamelin.  It comes from London from the same company that does Peter Pan, the British Musical.  ITMSHOWS.COM

Our cast has 34 kids in it age 7 to 16, with the smaller/younger ones being the rats/children, and the older ones filling the villager roles.  It is hysterically funny in the first half with catchy music and terrific lines.  The second half is much more dramatic and darker (well, it is a dark fairy tale) but still has the great music right to the end.  Easy to us to stage and costume.

Margaret Watt
    Artistic Director
    Mountain Dream Productions
    Victoria BC