Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Comedy for students of color

Posted 10-25-2018 20:16
    Hello all, 

I am looking for a comedy (10+ roles) that will appeal to and showcase the talents of my students of color. I would to find a show by a playwrite of color as well. I can think of so many musicals / histories / dramas, but finding a comedy is proving to be more difficult than I imagined. 

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Ellie McIvor-Baker
    Portland OR

• 2.  RE: Comedy for students of color

Posted 10-29-2018 16:13
    Here are three to take a look at that have casts around 10 (some may be under)

Luck of the Irish by Kirsten Greening
    The Trials of Brother Jero, by Wole Soyinka
    Dontrell, Who Kissed the Sea by Nathan Davis

These are very different plays, and very different playwrights. I don't know what your community standards are for content and language, and with the exception of the Soyinka piece, I can't call them strictly comedies. Still, these are great plays to read and know.

Meg O'Connor
    oconnormainstage.com

• 3.  RE: Comedy for students of color

Posted 10-30-2018 22:18
    See if you can get a license for performing 'Negroes in Space' by the late Rudy Eastman.  Contact the Jubilee Theatre in Fort Worth, Texas for more information.  It's a fun story placed far in the future with lots of music and singing.  The version I saw was in a improvised space with little off-stage room, so all the scene changes were done in plain sight of the audience by 'robots' (technicians as silent rhythmic actors).

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems