Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  No fly space-Olio Curtain??

Posted 08-05-2017 06:57
    I have no fly space and only 1 foot of backstage space before we hit a brick wall.   Right now I have a back black curtain that opens to the wings, a full cyc that hangs in upstage at all times.  I want to rent an LED star curtain for my production this year.  I don't want to lose the ability to light my cyc.   I was thinking to some how adapt the cyc into an Olio Curtain or rent something to create this.   I can't fly anything up on pipes.  Or maybe a kabuki curtain but that may be challenging to switch back and forth from led to cyc multiple times in one show.  Does anyone have a company they have used to create the Olio...how challenging is the LED star curtain to work with?  Thanks all. 

------------------------------
    Christine Dougherty
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Delsea Regional School District
    Franklinville NJ

• 2.  RE: No fly space-Olio Curtain??

Posted 08-06-2017 10:10
    Ah the joys of no fly house-- I share your pain! What I have done in the past when both cyc and star curtain was needed was to actually rent 2 smaller LED curtains and put them on a traveler track. This would then allow me to close the star curtain in front of my cyc when needed. The star drop when not lit could also serve as your normal black. I've had good luck renting from Rose Brand.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: No fly space-Olio Curtain??

Posted 08-14-2017 10:42
    ​Hello Christine,

So we had a very similar issue. LED/Fiber curtains are extremely expensive. We used the Star Shower laser light. It used to be only red/green but they released a Memorial day/4th of July light that is red and blue. We just used the blue and added a little color to the cyc and it looked pretty good.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: No fly space-Olio Curtain??

Posted 08-15-2017 06:50
    It is possible to do this by lighting your cyc in a preferred color and then projecting star field gobos onto the cyc, you wont have a black surface but could do a blue, the quantity of gobos would be based on your fixture count and lens size, you may have many of the materials onsite already.

I know this is not LED but wanted to pose the option...unless you have LED Ellipsoidal fixtures

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE