Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Book Gift for Graduating Senior

Posted 05-08-2018 11:07
    Hello All!

I am looking to you for book suggestions to give to a devoted theater participant who is graduating this June. She will be studying Arts Management at college, so I thought I would give her a book about this subject. She was also an incredible talent performing on stage in 6 productions over the course of her tenure at school and was one of the best Stage Managers I have ever had. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

------------------------------
    Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 2.  RE: Book Gift for Graduating Senior

Posted 05-09-2018 09:18
    I always give Peter Brook's, The Empty Space to my dedicated kids that plan to study theater in college.

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 3.  RE: Book Gift for Graduating Senior

Posted 05-09-2018 09:57
    It isn't super specific, but I LOVE to give How to Be an Explorer of the World by  Keri Smith.
    It is cheap and just encourages people to stop and look at things and arrange them in artistic ways.  Great for design concepts, etc.  I actually use it in my theatre tech classes.

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE

• 4.  RE: Book Gift for Graduating Senior

Posted 05-09-2018 10:14
    A family friend gave me Playbill's At This Theatre for my birthday one year, and I highly reccommend it for anyone studying theatre or arts admin. Reading about shows in the context of theatre/venue management truly framed the way I look at the industry, and it's full of interesting Broadway trivia. 

(I also studied arts administration/management in graduate school, and I often referenced this book in my academic work.)

Rosemary Bucher
    Licensing Representative, Educational Theatre
    Samuel French
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: Book Gift for Graduating Senior

Posted 05-10-2018 10:25
    Thank you All! fantastic recommendations! Books are ordered!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA