Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Career Mapping

Posted 01-09-2017 14:13

I am working on career and major mapping for theatre education students, and was wondering if anyone had any resources.  Obviously the map I am creating will pertain to one specific school and program, but mapping also includes outreach and career areas that a theatre education degree (or, in this case, a B.A. Theatre with additional K-12 certification) can be applied.

Career mapping for college students includes where to start, degree options, admission information, a map that provides information on all courses necessary to complete the degree as well as when to take them, when to complete Praxis testing and portfolio submission, some course highlights (what they will be learning), different careers where this degree can be used, and what these students will take away from this particular field of study.  I am mostly looking for information on the last two topics.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Smoak
    Theatre Arts Education Assistant
    Southeast Center for Education in the Arts
    Chattanooga, TN

• 2.  RE: Career Mapping

Posted 01-10-2017 07:12

You should definitely take a look at the book "Real-World Theatre Education." It covers a lot of the information you're looking for. Bit.ly/RWTEbk

Douglas Rome
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Fairfax County Public Schools
    Burke VA

• 3.  RE: Career Mapping

Posted 01-10-2017 08:16

Hi Elizabeth,

I graduated from SUNY Potsdam this past spring in their Theatre Education program, and the program's page on the school's website provides a good example of what you are looking for: B.A. in Theatre Education | SUNY Potsdam ; Theatre Education | SUNY Potsdam 

Hope this helps!

Lynn Glener
    M.A. Applied Theatre Candidate, CUNY School of Professional Studies '19
    B.A. Theatre/Theatre Education, SUNY Potsdam '16

• 4.  RE: Career Mapping

Posted 01-11-2017 09:40

I think the career mapping you're working on is a wonderful idea. I believe these two resources will be beneficial to your process Educational Theatre and Master of Arts in Applied Theatre. The Educational Theatre link provides in-depth information regarding the different career paths or "streams" that are available with a Masters of Science in Ed. Theatre. Whereas the Master of Arts in Applied Theatre features a link to the program's blog. I think the blog will be helpful because it provides in the field snapshots of theatre practitioners via social media. 

All the best and happy planning! 

Leatrice Whitney
    Substitute Teacher
    NYC Dept. of Education
    QUEENS VLG NY