Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Vintage Hitchcock

Posted 03-16-2021 13:15
    Does anyone have any suggestions for music for Vintage Hitchcock: a Live Radio Play. We plan to do Foley for majority of the sound effects, but I know music needs to be played throughout as well, and it does not come with any scores or sheet music? Especially for the jingles in the commercials? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    MacKinsey Taylor
    Theatre teacher/director
    Shelbyville High School

• 2.  RE: Vintage Hitchcock

Posted 03-17-2021 05:29
    We did this show last November. My music director wrote music for me to use with the radio jingles and we downloaded royalty free music clips for all the transitions. We used Q lab for all the music (you are right there is a lot needed to make the show effective) as well as foley artists on stage. If you’re familiar with Q lab I might be able to share the file with you? I’ll look later today.

Toni Thomas
    English & Theatre Teacher & Director
    Ogemaw Heights High School

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Vintage Hitchcock

Posted 03-17-2021 12:38
    I have not used Q lab before, but I will look into that! Thank you for the info/help!

MacKinsey Taylor
    Theatre teacher/director
    Shelbyville High School

• 4.  RE: Vintage Hitchcock

Posted 03-18-2021 11:21
    We're looking at doing this show as well. Would you mind sharing your Qlab file with me? That would be a tremendous help! Knewbanks@powayusd.com

Thank you!

Katie Newbanks
    Drama Teacher
    Bernardo Heights Middle School

• 5.  RE: Vintage Hitchcock

Posted 11-03-2021 08:28
    Now I'm in the same situation as you! I agreed to do the music for the show and now I'm in a time crunch! Would you mind sharing your Qlab file with me? (Fingers crossed!) I'll also ask Toni, because I know it was her file originally. Thank you both!   lisaserafino@gmail.com

Lisa Serafino

• 6.  RE: Vintage Hitchcock

Posted 03-18-2021 09:10
    I was listening to some recordings of the old, old radio shows like "Lights Out" and "Inner Sanctum." They had the original commercials with them. I don't know that you could use them, but they are really fascinating because they give you a glimpse of how that era felt. Amazing how many of them were for cigarettes! Telling you how good they were for your throat and helped you breathe better. You could write your own commercial based on them--but please not of cigarettes! But they had a certain rhythm and a certain feel to the language--much different than current commercials.

Jean Klein
    Playwriting Teacher in MFA program, Wilkes University]

• 7.  RE: Vintage Hitchcock

Posted 03-19-2021 09:18
    Hello! We did The 39 Steps piece of this show a few years back and I composed my own music using Apple Loops. I was very pleased with how it turned out, and got several compliments from audience members and competition judges alike. It takes a Mac and a little work to learn the process, but I am obsessed with this type of music production now, and this skill has really helped me add that extra energy to so many projects. You build your songs out of loops, get a feel for the tune, and then work your lyrics in. I am currently composing an original score for our original musical next year, using the same process. I used Electro Swing style for the Hitchcock show... Here is one package I liked https://www.bigfishaudio.com/Total-Electro-Swing, but I ended up going with this one from WaaSoundLab: https://www.waasoundlab.com/electroswing.html#wa-anchor-top. I think volume 3... I used volume 1 and 2 for a student written show. Told you I was a little obsessed. SO much fun!  Reach out if you need help!

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Echols County High School
    Statenville