Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  looking for dramatic small cast play

Posted 03-30-2017 11:15
    looking for a small cast dramatic play that has either been cut or can be cut for competition. preferably a cast smaller than 7 with either female or male leads. 

------------------------------
    Matthew Ward
    Piano and AP Music Theory
    Carolina Forest High School
    Myrtle Beach SC

• 2.  RE: looking for dramatic small cast play

Posted 03-30-2017 13:28
    How open is your school to controversial topics? There is a great 2-man show called Down Came The Rain by Burgess Clark (Playscripts has it) but it is definitely one I'd get approved by your admin. It's a great piece with a lot of depth to the characters, and a real struggle that they experience, but would probably be considered too "risky" for a lot of schools.

There is also a show we did about 6 or 7 years ago called Face Forward: Growing Up In Nazi Germany by Brendon Votipka (Playscripts again). I think the cast is about 5-6 (with some doubling). It was really well received. 

These are both one acts so they wouldn't need to be cut. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: looking for dramatic small cast play

Posted 03-30-2017 16:36
    Reviving Ophelia is a great dramatic play. It has parts for exactly 7 actors (it's written so that each actor plays multiple roles) with 5 female and 2 male parts. It's 70 pages with no intermission, so it's really like a full-length one-act, but I'll bet it could be cut down with permission. There's no real one lead, but 4 of the female roles get the bulk of the work. It's available from Dramatic Publishing.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 4.  RE: looking for dramatic small cast play

Posted 03-31-2017 08:15
    To echo previous comments, how controversial are you allowed to be?

'Exit Pursued by a Bear' is a Playscripts title that is pretty intense, dealing with domestic violence as the female protagonist decides to take revenge on her boyfriend's abuse by tying him to a chair and beating him with her homosexual best friend. Lauren Gunderson, 75 minutes, not sure if that might be too long.

Sam Shepard has some wonderful material, again, pretty dark and not a little challenging, but I've particularly been fond of 'Red Cross', two females one male. Definitely short enough for a competition.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: looking for dramatic small cast play

Posted 03-31-2017 09:41
    Dramatic Publishing has a one act of A Doll's House for 3m 3w.
    Women of Lockerbie - 5w 2m - has a 50 minute cutting. Each year my students fall in love with this play, and we finally performed it, doing very well at competition. The accents took some work (4 of the women needs Scottish accents) but it was well worth all of the effort.

I'll look through my bookshelf to see if any others come to mind.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 6.  RE: looking for dramatic small cast play

Posted 03-31-2017 15:34
    I use and like Basic Drama Projects from Perfection Learning.  Chapters are short and informative, and each has individual and group projects.  

Makala V. Witten
    Christiansburg High School
    Teacher, English 12 and Theatre
    Sponsor, International Thespian Troupe 3070
    Go Blue Demons!