Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Troupe Member Privileges

Posted 10-11-2017 08:03

​Good morning,
    I am a fairly new troupe director at a rather large school in western PA.  Our school produces four shows a year - a middle school musical (grades 7-8 only), a rather sad Intermediate production (reserved for grades 9-10, but somehow open to 9-12), an all-school musical (our only large scale production, open to grades 9-12), and a spring play (open to 9-12, usually a cast of 20-25).  Our school has around 550 students per grade level.  Our musical usually has a cast and crew count in the 100s. 
    My question is this.  How do I increase Troupe membership?  I am currently at 20, with 8 new inductees this fall.  I would really like to increase membership to around 50.  What privileges do you offer to Thespian members over other students?  At my school, the students like to do things that benefit them.  They won't join Thespians just for the status.  There has to be a reward or a reason to join besides just being a part of a club.  I have started doing more activities with the troupe (the old sponsor did nothing; the club met once a month and played theatre games after school in her classroom) such as field trips and going to shows and a combat workshop, but I need more!!
    Any suggestions for privileges for troupe members?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 2.  RE: Troupe Member Privileges

Posted 10-12-2017 08:30
    Do you take your Thespians to your state Thespian Festival? The New Jersey Festival is our biggest incentive for membership. I don't bring non-members. I do a membership drive after our fall play so that even freshmen who did the fall play and at least one show in middle school can join and go to our January festival. I currently have 50 members with a school population of 1300. (I also do a  membership drive at the end of the spring musical. I do only one Thespian Society Induction and Awards Ceremony in early June, but distinguish between the December and June inductees.) 
    In the fall we invite non-members to participate in our Children's Theatre Day and Trick or Treat So Kids Can Eat food drive. We want them to feel welcome so that they are more ready to join and go to the Thespian Festival with their new great friends.

Valerie Gargus
    Play & Thespian Troupe Director
    Northern Burlington County Reg HS
    Columbus, NJ

• 3.  RE: Troupe Member Privileges

Posted 10-12-2017 08:45
    Hello!

I wanted to reach out when I saw your post, because I am a troupe director in PA also!  I am one of the board members for PA Thespians - and we have our planning meeting this weekend to prepare for our upcoming Thespian conference... so while I am a Spanish teacher by day (long story) - I did get my cert for Communications (PA's "Theatre" requirement)...  I teach at Penn Manor HS in Millersville, Lancaster County.  I had always been a theatre staff member for tickets/costumes when I began here, but eventually became the troupe director after retirements.  We do two shows each year, typically - a fall play and a spring musical.  Sometimes a third show for a children's theatre in late spring.  Anyone is eligible to participate by auditioning or working on a crew.

I can totally relate to your question about the "What's in it for me?" mentality of your students.  We haven't been able to run a Theatre Arts class in several years, but we do meet weekly during an in-school homeroom/club time.  But being an inducted Thespian is a bit different than a club member at my school.  They can do shows, be in our club (and earn theatre points by doing so) - but some of the students who are eligible to be inducted choose not to do so.

I'd recommend that you think about what motivates your students?  I'm sure that I'll miss something on this list, but I'll rely on the others in this wonderful community to add their thoughts also!

-Being inducted into ITS is the equivalent of what NHS recognizes for academics, Tri-M for music, etc.  It is an honor society... adds to their resume and is noticed by college admissions folks and employers.  Even if they aren't pursuing a career in the arts, it shows their dedication, work ethic, and achievement.
    -They are eligible to apply for scholarships and opportunities through EDTA.
    -Students wear a while stole with their graduation gown - so it sets them apart from the crowd, and our principal individually calls out each student's name - and also recognizes their induction level (Honor, National, International Thespian)
    -They get a lower rate when they register for the state conference, as well as for the Thespian Festival.   (If you've never attended our state conference, we should talk!)
    -Maybe you only want to travel to the state conference/Thespian Festival with students who have been inducted? Particularly if it is the first time. That way, they have already demonstrated their commitment to your program, are likely more trustworthy & mature, etc.  Rather than someone who has only done a little work on one show who might just want to miss some school time. 
    -They could be a candidate to run for a position as State Thespian Officer for PA.
    -They could be named for your "Hall of Fame" award at the state conference - each troupe can honor one performer, and one technician. (I only consider inducted students.)
    -Within the EDTA thespian point system, there are additional levels beyond induction at 10 points.  I have students who are reaching towards Honor Thespian (60 pts), and more.
    -There are also Thespian Scholar recognitions - this is a nice way to honor those who are also earning solid GPA's in their academic work.

If a production would be more motivating, perhaps have a Thespian Cabaret performance?  Only inducted students may perform...  Our music dept does a recital for students in Honors Chorus each spring already - but if your students would like this, it could be a fundraiser for your program, or for Broadway Cares, etc.

Hope this helps a bit!  Let's keep in touch!
    Missy

Melissa Mintzer
    Willow Street PA

• 4.  RE: Troupe Member Privileges

Posted 10-12-2017 14:19
    Definitely agree on taking your troupe to your state conference! We had tons of perks for Thespian Society members surrounding the state conference. At our school (which has a uniform), students participating in the state conference were allowed to "dress down" on the day before the conference and wear the Thespian Society T-shirt. There was an all-school assembly the day before the conference where students were able to present their IEs to all of their classmates. After the conference, there was another all-school assembly to shout-out students who had received superior scores on their IEs.

The International Thespian Festival can also be a major selling-point. Any students who receive a superior score on their IEs are automatically qualified to present at the International Thespian Festival. If it's possible for your drama department to fundraise the money needed to help send those "superior students" to Lincoln, Nebraska, that could go a long way towards increasing buy-in. Going to the International Thespian Festival really is such an extraordinary experience -- both for students to really push themselves in their craft and meet other like-minded friends from across the country.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing you at this year's PA state conference!

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 5.  RE: Troupe Member Privileges

Posted 10-12-2017 08:52
    In our program I have a * to designate Member of International Thespian Troupe 1553, a **Denotes Honor Bar member and a +Perfect Rehearsal Attendance.  In Ohio, you must be an inducted Thespian to audition for our state show, for our scholarships and to run for STO.  I also award a Varsity Letter at the Honor Bar level.

Irene Imboden
    Teacher/ Drama Director
    Troy City Schools
    OH