Open Forum

View Only

Online ticket platforms

• 1.  Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-07-2018 09:42
    I'm looking to move ticket sales online for next year. There are a variety of programs out there each with their own benefits and drawbacks. I'm wondering if there is a consensus among Troupes out there. Would you please give me some insight as to what program you use (if any) and how these have been helpful and/or problematic? Thank you!

------------------------------
    Jim DeVivo, Ph.D.
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Lacey Township High School
    Lanoka Harbor NJ

• 2.  RE: Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-07-2018 11:34
    We just signed on to use Arts People for next year.  I can't give you much feedback yet, of course, but so far their customer service has been AMAZING and I've started setting up next year's season already and it's been super easy.  Several other directors in our area use them as well.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-08-2018 10:51
    We've been using Booktix for 2 years and LOVE IT!

Sarah Serbus
    Theatre Director
    Union R-XI School District
    Union, MO

• 4.  RE: Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-11-2018 07:37

We have been working with Booktix for several years, too, and have found them easy to use and very responsive to and helpful with questions.

• 5.  RE: Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-08-2018 10:37
    We use Universe because they have non-profit pricing that you can choose to talk the fee yourself or pass it on to your patrons. We originally took the fee ourselves, but then passed it on to our patrons and received no complaints as people are used to the credit card processing fee. We use Universe for more than just tickets to shows, we use it as a way to collect money from students for things like t-shirts because you can also add on questions to the ticket process. Our parents love the ease of paying through Universe!

The tracking and reporting feature of Universe is really powerful and provides a lot of features. We love that we can offer free tickets to our staff, student-priced tickets, and general admission tickets all in one place. You can also embed the box office onto your website and there are tools to sell tickets at the door, too.

Honestly, many of the ticketing programs have the same features, so it came down to price for us. We use Universe because it had the lowest processing fee for our patrons and allowed us to print all tickets through their software on regular 8.5x11 paper allowing us to cut our ticket printing costs. It keeps us organized whether we are selling 5,000 tickets for the musical or 500 tickets for OAP. 

--

• 6.  RE: Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-08-2018 12:48
    I've used SeatYourself at both schools and have not had any complaints from patrons (there is a fee given to them for online credit card sales only but none to us).  This is also nice because I can pull up former sales and give administration complete reports of what sold and what didn't.  The only drawback is you have to wait until the show is over to get the check from the company for online sales but it typically arrives within 3 days of requesting it.  Refunds are super easy, cancellations and transfer of tickets is super easy.  I have students running box office and it is very simple for them to learn - typically can train someone that day to work the box office that evening.

Kimberly Wibbenmeyer
    Sullivan MO

• 7.  RE: Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-08-2018 13:29
    I've been using showtix4u from the very beginning, almost 15 years,  they were created for educational theatre.  There is a call center for your patrons who are internet challenged, the customer service is beyond exceptional, there is no cost to you the client if you choose to pass on the fee to your customers.  The fee itself is one of,if not the lowest, per ticket price out there.   They are always listening to their clients and adding functionality as needed.  Like donations, season subscriptions, and the ability to specialize their fee structure.  There is a full box office option in addition to 8.5/11 tickets for printing at home.  They will even mail the tickets to your patrons snail mail if they prefer... I'm shocked at how many people actually prefer this option. Their account reporting saved me when our school banker imbezled from the school.  I was able to prove without a shadow of doubt the 25,000.00 she stole from my department. I'll be a customer for life!

Jennifer Hemme
    Henderson NV

• 8.  RE: Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-09-2018 09:32
    Jen is ABSOLUTELY correct!

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 9.  RE: Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-12-2018 04:33
    Me too. I have used showtix4u.com since they started and they have been absolutely amazing.

Natalie (Saunders) Dommer
    Director of Theatre
    Ottumwa High School
    501 East Second Street
    Ottumwa, Iowa 52501

• 10.  RE: Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-09-2018 09:53
    Listen, all these platforms listed are about the same, and I've used several of them. Let me tell you the best.  Vendini. 
    The difference . Vendini does everything everyone listed above but it is also a marketing and customer platform.  It integrates with social media where you call sell tickets directly from Facebook, etc.  
    You can sell season tickets or have memberships where patrons get perks for being a member  perks that are automatically applied to their account.  

Send me an email and we can talk more.  
    Nathanshewell@gmail.com 

Thanks,

Nathan Shewell
    Theatre Arts Director
    Indianapolis IN

• 11.  RE: Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-09-2018 12:17
    Two years ago I started using On the Stage.  It is a web hosting and online ticket sales platform specifically geared toward high school theatre departments.  I love it because you get a professional looking website for your specific production that your patrons can visit.  You can either use their stock artwork for a show (that they will also license for use on posters, programs, shirts...etc.) or you can provide artwork (licensed or original).  You can upload info about the show, cast/crew and other details. They even will run a "store" for you where partons can by merch with your show logo on it.  They will sell it at cost (they keep the $) or allow you to up charge it, with all upsales going to you.  Once a month they send you any donations and merchandise sales in a check, and then after the production you receive a check for all of the online sales.

My partons are so happy since I started using this system!  And the parents love it because they can select their favorite seats in our theatre!

In terms of the ticket sales, they collect a fee per ticket that pays for the web hosting.  They take that out of your online sales.  There is also a fee for credit card use, but both fees are passed on to the patrons.  You can even allow for reserved seating selection.

The website platform and the box office platform are very easy to use and they have great customer service and support.  There is even a place for patrons to make a donation to your program!  Last year I received over $500 in donations!  

Here is a link to our website for The Crucible: Folsom High School Presents: The Crucible
    And here is a link to On the Stage: Home - On The Stage 

Hope this helps!  Let me know if you have any questions!

Tamara Mosier
    Folsom CA

• 12.  RE: Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-11-2018 12:33
    HI all,
    I have used ArtsPeople and have enjoyed the prompt and personal attention that we have received for the last 7 years. They are very communicative when there is a question or issue. We have had nothing but positive experiences with the program. Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.
    Have a great day!!

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 13.  RE: Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-12-2018 21:31
    ​Good evening,

The theatre programs in our school system use Vendini. They have been amazing and their customer support is incredible. They also have tons of bells and whistles that you can activate or you can stick to the basics. We also love the marketing component that is included.

The financial reports are very good as well and you can slice and dice them however you want.

I suggest that you have a couple different companies demo for you. Only you know what will work for you and your patrons.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 14.  RE: Online ticket platforms

Posted 06-16-2018 20:36
    I've run marketing and sales with my Troupe Directors for 2 years, and we've been using Booktix for years and have a fantastic relationship with them. It is simple and professional and we are huge fans overall! The platform is easy enough that parents and grandparents can purchase with ease.

Carolina Vieira
    Marketing Director - Troupe 7161
    Robbinsville High School
    Robbinsville, NJ