Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  making scripts available in Google Classroom.

Posted 04-29-2020 14:29
    I'm currently teaching a Dramatic Literature class. We read a lot of scripts in class and then talk about them, write essays, etc. Because of the Quarantine I can't hand out scripts to students however so we are meeting in Google Classroom. This works fine with plays that are in the public domain (Importance of Being Earnest, She Stoops to Conquer, etc.) because I can find free copies of the plays on line, download them onto my Google Classroom and read them aloud with the rest of the class as a group in Google Meet. 

I'm trying to figure out what to do about plays that are not in the public domain. I realize there are pirated versions of many plays on line but I'd prefer not to do that. I also know you can purchase e-scripts for most plays, but how do I share an e-play with my class? I need to not only have access to the play in Google Meet but I need to leave a copy of it on line in my Google Classroom for students who miss class or need to access the script for research. I'm fine if I have to but an e-script for each student (I buy them regular scripts, unless I have them in stock) but I don't know how to do that for each student?  

Has anyone had any experience with doing this? Buying e-scripts on line and downloading them to share with a class to read out loud? Or what have you dont as an option? 

Thanks for any ideas. I would like to do some modern playwrights. 

• 2.  RE: making scripts available in Google Classroom.

Posted 04-30-2020 12:35
    I'm looking into this, too, and have been strongly steered to our library -- both the school library and the city library system.

------------------------------
    Ellen Koivisto
    San Francisco CA

• 3.  RE: making scripts available in Google Classroom.

Posted 04-30-2020 12:45
    Hey John,

I'm a playwright (not a teacher) whose plays have been published by Playscripts and Stage Partners. If you're looking for modern playwrights, both have options 

I believe (and I don't actually know this 100% as I don't work for Playscripts) that they just launched something called Virtual scripts which... I think... sells you a standard PDF that can be uploaded to classroom sites or emailed to students.

I think Stage Partners also can sell PDFs for classroom use, but you may need to contact them for specific titles.

Hope that helps.

Ian McWethy
    Los Angeles CA