Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Favorite Sherlock scripts?

Posted 11-21-2017 10:53
    Hi all --

We've just finished stage strike for our fall show, and I'm daydreaming about next year.  Any recommendations for a favorite Sherlock Holmes straight show?  It looks like there are plenty out there.  I generally have a cast of 15-20, high school, more girls than boys, though next year I should have several strong boys who could handle Holmes and Watson. 

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Josie Tierney-Fife
    English Teacher/Theater Director
    Gorham, Maine

• 2.  RE: Favorite Sherlock scripts?

Posted 11-21-2017 11:13
    I've done both Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Jersey Lily and Sherlock Holmes and the West End Horror. I personally liked West End Horror more, but both were good scripts that were enjoyed by both the actors and the audience. Jersey Lily is definitely more comedic, so it depends on the type you're looking for. I'm pretty sure I did them both through Playscripts, so you could read the beginning and see if either interest you.

There are also a few musical Sherlocks out there - although I've never done one...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Favorite Sherlock scripts?

Posted 11-22-2017 06:23
    Sherlock Holmes and the Portal of Time, by Mike Druce. Has parts for HG Wells and his wife, Einstein and his wife, two Moriartys. Great fun, if a bit illogical!

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Favorite Sherlock scripts?

Posted 11-30-2017 12:36
    The Game's Afoot by Ken Ludwig is wonderful!  It does require a revolving panel, but we're a low-tech theatre troupe and we pulled off something that worked.   
    Technically, the play is about an actor who PORTRAYS Holmes, not Holmes himself, although he <g class="gr_ gr_450 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="450" data-gr-id="450">adapts</g> the persona of Holmes as he solves the murder.  

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS