Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Dinner Theatre Musical?

Posted 04-12-2021 20:51
    Hello everyone.

We are considering changing up our usual dinner theatre show by doing a musical next year. Does anyone have any suggestions for shows?

Thanks to all.

------------------------------
    Melissa Carroll-Jackson
    Director of Theatre
    Pinnacle High School

• 2.  RE: Dinner Theatre Musical?

Posted 04-14-2021 13:13
    We just did 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, and it might work well as dinner theater. Along with adding the audience members to the show,  you could do more audience stuff before the show or during intermission (if you had one) such challenging random people to spell hard words, or pitting one table versus another in a quick spelling round.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Dinner Theatre Musical?

Posted 04-21-2021 10:16
    How about a "music-enhanced" dinner mystery show? If you need a money maker, I highly recommend https://www.tonylouplays.com/. They are a low cost option, and allow many creative liberties! They were so kind to me when I was considering using the mystery as a back up competition piece, our COVID safety net.  I ended up following through with our original show, but their customer service and love for theatre really comforted me during a very stressful time. We did "Trouble at the Tropicabana", and I Love Lucy spoof, and it was a hoot for the kids and audiences alike! They allowed me to change a few of the jokes, considering our conservative community. They suggest several songs that you may have to seek additional royalties for, but I actually cut some original music for the transitions that I would be glad to share.  I also have a really cool promotion image I designed that I would share for flyers and posters.

For a beginner musical, I would recommend Pioneer Drama company. Most are written for middle schools, but can still be a lot of fun with older talent.  Our first musical our school ever did, about 10 years ago, was The Taming of Katy Lou, a spin on The Taming of the Shrew.  I had no idea what I was doing, nor did my cast, and I think it came together beautifully. And was an imperative in our growth into bigger named musicals. Their "Headless Horseman" also appeals to me, I've been sitting on that one waiting for the right cast. 

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Echols County High School
    Statenville