Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Flexible Theater Seating

Posted 01-20-2021 10:08

We are building a new performing arts center and considering flexible seating for the blackbox.  Has anyone used varying height audience  chairs instead of risers? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks for your help!

• 2.  RE: Flexible Theater Seating

Posted 01-21-2021 06:51
    I have never looked at that approach before. It could be possible, but my concern would be for the patrons more than the seating. Grandma and Grandpa may not be able to sit in taller seating should all the lower height at the front be taken by others.  With either style you will need to maintain proper aisle spacing for access and Egress. I could see this working for 2 rows. Worst comes to worst you can use same height seating and stagger the rows on the floor to allow for no looking through heads, at that point you raise the performers on platforms for full view.

I hope you find the solution for your needs.

------------------------------
    Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Heartland Scenic Studio
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Flexible Theater Seating

Posted 01-22-2021 11:17
    We have done this for some spaces, and it can be an effective solution. As Jerry mentions, this "trick" is typically limited to two to maybe three rows depending on the application. The chair design should consider footrests and even steps to improve patron comfort and ease of access.
    A few disadvantages:
    • Taller height chairs are difficult to compactly store, if you can at all. This can require more storage space when you're not using the tall chairs.
    • This can push you into custom-built seating.
    • If you change your layout (as I'd expect for a flexible space), then the ratios of standard to tall seats may change. this could mean needing a larger inventory of chairs overall, since any given seat can't be interchanged for any other.
    Advantages: Increased layout flexibility without being locked into riser widths . Potentially faster set-up as you are locating fewer platforms in addition to chairs. Improved options for accommodating accessible seating within the layout.

The true list of pros and cons depends on your space and operations.

Kimberly Corbett Oates
    Partner
    Schuler Shook
    Dallas TX

• 4.  RE: Flexible Theater Seating

Posted 01-23-2021 11:38
    Hello!
    I am blessed to have a Black Box Theatre space at my school. We have a series of risers and use only one size of chair. I find it adds more flexibility for creating aisles (center aisle vs. no center aisle), setting up with less seats, more seats, etc. Due to the set up of the lighting and stage curtains, we never move our risers. Good luck with your space!
    Take Care,
    Garry

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC