Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Shows for State/International adjudication

Posted 03-01-2018 12:46

Hey all--

I'm looking for ideas for a show that I would get adjudicated for our state festival and also ITF. I would like something fairly contemporary with a flexible and transportable unit set. I have recently produced She Kills Monsters, The Diviners, Rabbit Hole and Almost Maine. Any ideas?
    --

Kathleen Barbara

MHS Theatre

• 2.  RE: Shows for State/International adjudication

Posted 03-01-2018 13:36
    Are you looking for a main stage or a one act? For a main stage, there is a great script called 110 Stories by Sarah Tuft (Playscripts). It's a 9-11 piece that is very intense and has minimal set requirements. 

For a one act my kids really like Booby Trap by Ed Monk (Playscripts). It's a military piece that also has very minimal set requirements.

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Shows for State/International adjudication

Posted 03-02-2018 10:33
    Hi Kathleen, 
    This is a bit off-topic but I wanted to ask you about your production of She Kills Monsters. Did you perform the high school version? How challenging were the costumes, particularly the giant monsters she battles? Was it well- received from the high school population? I haven't had much luck with getting a decent turn-out for my fall productions and I am hoping to choose a comedy that also addresses modern-day issues, making it more relatable to this generation of teens. I just worry that if it is not a "name" show I won't get a lot of interest.

Waleksa Mendoza
    Drama Teacher / Director
    CHS-San Bruno CA

• 4.  RE: Shows for State/International adjudication

Posted 04-13-2018 11:33
    Hi! We actually just did the show this past weekend. I feel it was well-received by students and fairly well attended (over 250) for a non-musical. Some thought it "inappropriate" but most found it relevant, funny, and moving.

We made monster masks out of styrofoam. If I did this again, I would spent more time/money making full-on monsters. I got a professional stage fight choreographer, and we spent a month just choreographing the stage fights. I did do the projections--I contacted a former student and she did drawings on notebook paper, like they were torn from Tilly's notebook, and I used QLab to project them. We had great fun. I recommend it. We did the Young Adventurers version.

Kathleen Barbara
    Wichita KS

• 5.  RE: Shows for State/International adjudication

Posted 03-02-2018 16:15
    Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind by the Neo-Futurists in Chicago.

Maura Vaughn
    The Branson School
    Ross CA